Toaster

Help me understand the ALARM inputs on stand alone DVRs

Hello again guys.......

I have a stupid question, that I'm sure most of you regulars will know the answer to. I currently have 2 CCTV systems, both Q-SEE, consumer grade... (I know - I know). One is a 30FPS D1 QT528 at my business, and the other is a 7.5FPS D1 QT428 (both 8ch). Ok, so both DVR's are actually made by TVT for what its worth.

They have alarm inputs on them, but I'm not quite sure whats the advantage of using those alarm inputs...? I have both set to record 24/7 at max res, cbr 2048k........

There are all these options I really don't understand, and I'm sure features I dont understand either. One of the big ones is: I'd like to record 24/7 (to be safe) but I'd also like to be able to search through video and only see motion activated events, however because of the way I have them set up, to send email based motion event alerts during CLOSED hours, when I search motion events I'm not seeing anything that happens while we're open (ie: 9am to 5pm), so I'll see events upto 8:59am and after 5:01pm but nothing in between... and of course Q-see is ZERO help.

I have an alarm at the store- but its a wireless alarm system......... and I don't think it integrates with this... should I maybe look into wired motion sensors or something??????

The alarm feature is one of the most underused features on a DVR, but it can be a beautiful thing. There are many devices that can be used as an alarm trigger for your DVR. One of the more common one devices is a PIR motion detector. This detects actual motion through a motion sensor as opposed to your DVR's pixel based motion detection. This will make for a more "true" motion detection and will take care of most of the false triggers. Basically you run wires from the motion detector to your DVR. After you do some configurations to your DVR to accept the motion detector, you can then set your DVR to record, send emails, move your PTZ. etc only on alarm triggers. Door sensors and doorbells are also great triggering devices.

Sounds like I'd then have to re-wire my now wireless alarm system hmm.... I wonder if I would be able to actually get any advantage out of doing that...?

Knowing this now, there are actually lots of options to get your time-based email alerts. If your alarm panel has a PGM output, or something similar, you may be able to tie that into the DVR and then configure it to send email only when there's an alarm. Then rather than having to worry about the hours (what if someone stays late? what if everyone leaves and locks up early?), the feature would be operational whenever the alarm system is armed.

The alarm I have in the store is a DSC alarm, I can't for the life of me remember the model number. Its all wireless and works great. Has a door sensor, glass break sensor, motion detector.... I guess I need to dig out the manual............

The problem is I don't fully understand what I'm reading, just like I don't fully understand the alarm inputs of the dvr - back to square one.

BTW: I checked gmail filtering, and I didn't see anyway to filter messages based on time of day sent or received....?

Hello again guys.......

I have a stupid question, that I'm sure most of you regulars will know the answer to. I currently have 2 CCTV systems, both Q-SEE, consumer grade... (I know - I know). One is a 30FPS D1 QT528 at my business, and the other is a 7.5FPS D1 QT428 (both 8ch). Ok, so both DVR's are actually made by TVT for what its worth.

They have alarm inputs on them, but I'm not quite sure whats the advantage of using those alarm inputs...? I have both set to record 24/7 at max res, cbr 2048k........

There are all these options I really don't understand, and I'm sure features I dont understand either. One of the big ones is: I'd like to record 24/7 (to be safe) but I'd also like to be able to search through video and only see motion activated events, however because of the way I have them set up, to send email based motion event alerts during CLOSED hours, when I search motion events I'm not seeing anything that happens while we're open (ie: 9am to 5pm), so I'll see events upto 8:59am and after 5:01pm but nothing in between... and of course Q-see is ZERO help.

I have an alarm at the store- but its a wireless alarm system......... and I don't think it integrates with this... should I maybe look into wired motion sensors or something??????

hi,

you didn't open the motion detective record mode.

in that mode, the dvr record only when there are things moving.

He already said he wants to record 24/7.

7.5ftps D1? never heard of that

Not at all uncommon in standalone DVRs.

If all or even some of your cameras were set on motion detection or PIR alarm or magnetic door contacts, you would only record actual events.

The advantage is that when you arrive at home or at work one day and find that an attempted break in took place, instead of trawling through hours of uneventful recording. you can search only actua;l events making the job a LOT simpler and less frustrating.

As I recently found out, the alarms on your DVR are simply a switch which through your software you can set to either open or close a circuit.

You will also have an alarm out, which wires to a warning device such as either a buzzer or a light or both, to alert you to the fact that an alarm on the DVR has been triggered.

So why don't I just use the motion sensor on my DVR? Good question, but the answer is simple, changes in light, shadows of trees on the ground and insects can all trigger recording during motion sensor recording. A lot of false alarms are avoided by using PIR sensors (most commonly) door contacts i.e. normally closed contact in the door frame, break-glass sensors, The less recording of non events, the easier to locate events when they are recorded. Okay so your staff could be at work late, this will not affect them because you will still have less recording.

you can set the schedule to record continuously during the day when employees are in but then go to alarm or motion detect, automatically without intervention and it can be different for each camera.

The other benefit of course if a longer time before your hard drive fill up and starts to record over themselves. If you take data back ups regularly, these will take less time as there will be less to burn onto CD or DVD.

What are good outdoor PIR motion detectors?

Since I got all security camera crazy, my family has started now too - my brother just installed an 8ch dvr setup at his house... really impressive, but because of all the tree's and stuff around his house - his dvr motion detection goes off *ALL THE TIME* seriously, we've tried adjusting it, and its either so low that it never goes off, and the very next level higher make's it go off ALL THE TIME. Gmail has already disabled 2 email accounts in less than 24 hours automatically because of the insane amount of alert notifications going out. He most certainly needs better motion detection.

At my store, not so much. The only time I get false alarms is birds or rain pretty much... about 95%+ of the alerts I get ARE in fact MOTION... car's pulling in/out of the parking lot, people going to toss stuff in the dumpster, etc... At the store - I couldn't be happier with my setup.

As far as your store I may have another cheap option for you. You a relay to your dsc security system. When you get a alarm you might have a siren that is triggered trace that wire to your panel. That Plus and neg should be putting out 12 + volts Look for a relay a pam relay or any kind that accepts 12 to 24 volts wire it with the bell to the plus minus on the relay then the output from that relay should have a normally open or normally closed output, check you dvr it is probley a normally open, alarm on close. Then when ever your alarm goes off from dcs system it will trigger a alarm event on your dvr systems you can get fancy and wire it in series to both dvrs. As far as the other issues with dvr recording look for masking options and mask out the trees and what ever you dont want to record during movement. Try clicking in the picture on setup screen and see if you can drag a mask or object. Hope this helps. And the reason for the relay is to keep you from mixing powers or sending power to the dvr contacts, You don't won't to mix powers.

I also have the Qt528 - I have a question about the alarm/sensor inputs. There's a total of 8 channels, so there are 8 inputs for alarms... However, each alarm input only accepts 1 wire and I can't seem to find a common for the inputs.

I also have the Qt528 - I have a question about the alarm/sensor inputs. There's a total of 8 channels, so there are 8 inputs for alarms... However, each alarm input only accepts 1 wire and I can't seem to find a common for the inputs.

There will usually be a "ground" connection - that would be your common.

Is it possible to wire a sensor in parallel/series to two devices? I'd like an outside gate magnet sensor to trigger my alarm panel as well as my CCTV.

Sure, although it will usually depend on the two sensors being the same type (normally open or normally closed).

If both are normally open, you'd wire them in parallel, so either one closing will make the circuit.

If both are normally closed, you'd wire them in series, so either one opening will break the circuit.