camerasguy71

Most affordable / reliable POE switch for the money

Looking for the most reliable and affordable POE switch with a minimum of 12 ports. Nothing super exotuic needed just doing 10 1.3 Megapixel cameras. Thanks in advance for all your hard work and testing . I'm leaning towards a ciso managed switch but I could care less about the brand name on it as long as it won't give me problems.

What POE class do you require? They have different wattages so be sure that what ever you get put's out what you need across all ports.

Zyxel makes an 8 port switch with GigE uplink for a great price and speced at 15.4w across each port. Check them out and sell through a number of sources including newegg and amazon.

Just finished a 60 camera install with a combination of 24 & 8 port POE switches from Netgear, no problems work great

I got the Netgear GS110TP 8 port Gigabit POE switch last month and I am happy with it. It can be had online for less than $300. Not sure if they make a 12-port switch, I'd have to check their site.

Although it is my first POE netgear switch, I have had many of non-POE switches from netgear over the last 10 years or so, and I have never had any problems with them

I wouldnt hesitate to recommend them.

Im on the fence here. I have one IP cam (Geo BL120D) & I would like to try out the POE to see how well it works. I already have 14 cams at my location & I doubt I need to many more but I would probably buy the 'cube' once its out to see how well it does. With that in mind, I dont think I will need to add multiple IP cams until they come way down in pricing.

Is there a cheaper 'tester' POE switch that would do 3-4 Geo cams (they are power hungry)?

Thanks,

Rich

I just purchased a PoE switch yesterday. Haven't used it yet but looks good.

SRW208P-K9 also know as SF302-08P.

Cheap switch for testing: TrendNet TPE-S44 (4 non-PoE ports + 4 PoE ports). Might as well get it for testing than buying injectors.

We're using NetGear smart switches for mid-size installs (8-20 cameras) and Dell gear for larger installs (20 and up)

There are decent TrendNet 8/16 port smart switches that work great for smaller installations... just had one TrendNet TPE-80WS setup today.

Ditto on the TrendNet TPE-S44, have a few in service for over a year and no problems. Trendnet may not make good surveillence cameras, but the switches are fine. There's like a 30W limit on the entire switch. I never had a problem with 4 cameras on the switch, but if you use PTZ cameras that have higher draws, you may be limited to 2 cameras.

I purchased the TP-Link TL-SF1008P after purchasing the 24 port Netgear POE to slap on 4 ACTi cameras onto the existing system. Well, I hit my POE cap with only 3 cameras (drawing ~52 a piece)! I either had a defunct unit or they really overestimate their 57w rating. I ended up purchasing a poe injector for ~$20 to use for the last camera (bullet cam with an IR illuminator built in). I purchased 2 of those TP-Links, not sure if I'm going to keep the second. We'll see if it handles my other project using HIKVISION cameras instead of my previous ACTi cameras.

I have used PLanet switches a few times now and they seem fine with great through put and also easy to use managed GUI.

Also the Planet switch is gigabit on most models.

For the top end switch look at Korenix as they have a great 30 watts per channel 24 Port POE Gigabit

Have had good luck with HP Procurve series PoE and PoE+ switches. Most places around here are cisco shops, so when we stick an HP switch into a customers rack, their IT guys tend to notice it's not theirs and never mess with it.

If you have a lot of power hungry cameras, another good option is to get a 24 port switch (or whatever size you need), and a separate 24 port PoE injector. Patch the switch into the injector, then run from the injector out to the field. This will eat up some rackspace, but at the same time it will get you 400 watts or more depending on the injector.