Hey guys, have any of you heard of this compression technology? is it any good compare to MPEG2 or MPEG4?

I remember seeing an ad showing a DVR with this compression, but I forgot the brand. Does anyone know about it?

It's going to be better then normal MJPEG, and may be as good as MPEG-2 as far as quaility goes but some of it is going to be a matter how the encoder is set.

I did some studies the past weekend. Is this true that the difficulty of using JPEG2000 is because we do not have a good enough camera to work with this compression? From what I know is that JPEG2000 has really good image quality but it's not categorized by either NTSC nor PAL. It uses RJ45 as mean of transmission. Also because JPEG2000 has good picture definition, even the best camera in the market now cannot fully display the best picture quality. Plus the compression for JPEG2000 is very big, it takes up too much storage. That's why this technology is not popular at the moment.

correct me if I am wrong. thanks.

Apples and oranges.

NTSC, PAL and SEACAM (did I get that right?) are analogue signals. So if I hook them up to a osillascope, I see a waveform. I see uncompressed signal.

MPEG, MJPEG, JPEG2000 are compressed (cut out chunks of signal I think you won't notice in an effort to save space) signals in digital formating. I put them up to an osillascope and I would get bursts (packets) of random noise.

You compress video in order to save space. You can record raw video as YUV or RGB values per pixel. One hour video that way is over a terabyte of storage. You can feed a compressed signal into any kind of TCP/IP carrier, including co-ax.

I also ment to say that any video signal can be compressed into any format. NTSC->MJPEG or MJPEG->JPEG2000. I can feed NTSC and get JPEG2000 out. Nothing prevents it from being used now.

Thanks Thomas. But if you said nothing prevents it from being used now, why we don't see JPEG2000 in the main stream technology now? Right now the market is still full of MJPEG, MPEG2, or MPEG4.

Any other new technology that's under experimenting and might become a main stream in the future?

H.264 is an old compression that looks like making new advances.. every compression has its ups and downs... MPEG4 sends only the moving bits to the next frame, but thats not great for PTZ's etc etc..

Fact is we really cant fit raw video yet, so unless storage increases, and my bets is it will... especially on flash roms (we WILL see flash roms taking the size of HDD's in the next few years with smaller than a finger in size) and tis will help as this will be built into the cameras, once bandwidth is big enough we will ALL be selling wireless network cameras with built in storage... forget the DVR, forget the HDD arrays, it will all be IN the camera it will all be solar powered it will all be configurable over the web and it will all be controlled from your home PC.

All that will happen is you will go to KMART you will buy a camera and it will be configured ONLINE.. if you want to know my true belief this is what will really happen.

Foxtel will sell plug ins for its digital television service, these will be alarm panels.. food ordering and CCTV, they will store and record media, they will charge $1 for a movie and it will all be wireless, you will ahve one BOX, that recieves digatal free to air TV networks your recording cameras, acts as your alarm system, works as a router for your internet and plays your media from flash sticks

You don't see it because it's pretty new and the industry is looking toward MPEG for better compression.

You dont see it because this compression took off about 6 years ago and nobody really liked it that much. Its not that great - thats the bottom line. Just stick with Mpeg4 for recording and M-JPEG for transmition.

Every compression type has it's strengths and draw backs.

MJPEG: Most OS's have native support or trival to get support for this codec. (Just about any media software for Linux will play it when installed, Windows is built in, Mac built in, BeOS built in, *BSD will do it with media play back software installed, same for other Unix family members). This is one of the few codecs that you can do something with as far as image enhancement. (Not much and if you think you'll do what you see with CSI then please go sprint into the wall before asking me how to do it.) Not the most space effiencent.

MPEG 2/4/H.263/H.264 : Very efficent compression, but doesn't always play well on playback. MPEG codecs can have issues playing well with each other. Not a big deal on the DVR, can be a problem for the cops. It is possible to get larger MPEG 4 files under certain situations. Since each fram contains positional data along with RGB value, then you can end up with some very large frames if you have rapid and intense light changes.

WMV: Great compression but extremely processior intensive. Going to be a *** to move.

JPEG2000/MJPEG2000: Better then MJPEG in some respects (color/resolution) but much more expensive for a manufacturer to implement.

Wavelet: Is a differant approch to recording that works with change in texure.

Now the question you all want to know. Which is best? Ha! It's all going to depend on what they are set at and what you want.

>we will ALL be selling wireless network cameras with built in storage... >forget the DVR, forget the HDD arrays, it will all be IN the camera it will all >be solar powered it will all be configurable over the web and it will all be controlled from your home PC.

I doubt I will be ever selling cameras with built in storage so the bad guys can steal the camera and eliminate all record of their activity. Doesn't sound like very good security.

Also doubt K-Mart will be selling quality CCTV equipment. Security equipment was never a mass marketed item.

Voice over I.P. never was either, nor were computers, nor were automotive parts, but you can get them all from Kmart now!

I agree with the stolen thing, never thought of that but surely there is a way to erase a flash rom, and I am sure by then you could easily have the bandwidth to stream it to a SAN area anyhow or monitoring station.

I can see it coming, I really can, in honesty my foxtel at home uses compression already, would not take much to change a few bits of firmware to allow it to take a camera input, and why not, considering you dont pay for the box.

Maybe a bit further on, but not as distant as one might think.

You dont see it because this compression took off about 6 years ago and nobody really liked it that much. Its not that great - thats the bottom line. Just stick with Mpeg4 for recording and M-JPEG for transmition.

Strange. I think should be inversely. Some full frame compress method (MJPEG, JPEG2000) for local recording (better quality) and MPEG4 or H.264 for transmition (smaller bandwith required).

Strange. I think should be inversely. Some full frame compress method (MJPEG, JPEG2000) for local recording (better quality) and MPEG4 or H.264 for transmition (smaller bandwith required).

I agree. The manufacturers that are introducing dual simultaneous stream and alternate stream IP Cameras recommend the use of the MPEG4 for observation and MJPEG for recording. This gives the user the best of both worlds - low bitrate monitoring and the opportunity to distribute the recorders to telecom closets to reduce bandwidth on the overall network.

Hey guys, have any of you heard of this compression technology? is it any good compare to MPEG2 or MPEG4?

I remember seeing an ad showing a DVR with this compression, but I forgot the brand. Does anyone know about it?

I know the key point of JPEG2000 tech is ROI (Region of Interest).