Hi,

Just wondering what is everyone's take on the above-mentioned?

My PC-Nvr would definitely be either Windows or Linux (Ubuntu) connected by HDMI to a television.

However, sometimes, remote viewing would be done from Macintosh.

I am intending to either get Axis 241Q or ACTi ACD-2000Q.

Milestone

Supports ACD2000Q (which allows me to save $200 over 241Q)

Supports SED2300Q (save another $200 over ACD2000Q)

Free Xprotect Go

Doesn't support mac remote viewing

exacqVision

Mac remote viewing

Cool iPhone and iPad Apps

Doesn't support ACD2000Q (Hve to purchase $750 241Q)

The thing is, if I go with milestone, it is generally ok as well if it doesn't have Mac compatibility as i can connect directly to the ip address of the camera using SecuritySpy.

Just wanted to hear what people have to say about both Milestone and ExacqVision.

Thanks

Nycky

Between the two I would go with Exacq. I find Milestone to be very complicated and not user friendly plus with Milestone you will need 4 licenses and Exacq you will only need one. Also Milestone licenses to the MAC address of the camera which can be a big PTA when you want to which devices or replace them.

Also the Acti encoder your looking at only does 7 FPS on all channels compared to the AXIS which can do 30 FPS at full D1 on all channels FYI. (edit the axis q7404 can)

Milestone go limits you to 5 days of storage BTW

Edited by Guest

Ok then. Seems like exacqvision is the way to go. How should I purchase the licenses ?

on the ACD-200Q website, it says

Quad Mode/Sequential Mode

30fps At Full D1

http://www.acti.com/download_file/Product/datasheet/ACD-2000Q_ds_0928.pdf

For the sed2300q it also says,

30fps at D1

http://www.channelten.co.nz/pdf/sed2300q.pdf

I've been looking at both data sheet for quite some time and can't seem to find the difference between ACD2000Q and SED2300Q. One thing to note, I do not need audio.

For the ACD2000Q, Can you kindly explain the difference between quad mode and single mode ?

Lastly, I have a hitachi deskstar sata3 2tb hard drive. If I want to either install linux or windows for the server, should I partition the drive? Or should I just install the vms, operating system, recorded data on the same partition ?

Thank you so much for ur help.

Regards

Nycky

Quad will display all four cameras in one image - really only giving you (4) Cif images.

Sequential will sequence 1, then 2, then 3, then 4.

Then they have an option on that encoder to do (4) channels at 7FPS @ D1 each. Which is the advisable option for THAT ACTi encoder.

i also agree that Exacq is the way to go. Granted, I only messed around with the trial version of Milestone a month or two ago before I decided to go with Exacq, so Im def not too experienced with Milestone, but I LOVE Exacq, and dont regret it. I also have the Axis 241Q in my system.

I like that I can use the iOS app on my iphone or ipad, and i like that you can use *any* web browser. Its also very easy to setup, too.

Right now I have 4 analog cams running through the Axis 241Q and then 1 IP cam plugged directly into my POE switch. I am going to slowly replace my analog cameras over the next year or so, and then just sell the 241Q here on the forum. I'm pretty sure if you spent the $750 on the Axis 241Q, you'd be able to get $450-500 back out of it when you sell it, and they seem to sell very easily around here

A little teaser for you (click it for a larger image):

exacq1-1.png

A little teaser for you (click it for a larger image):

exacq1-1.png

Damm, those images sure look good for an analog camera. I think the 241q is easy to sell in this forum, however, I live in Singapore and there isn't a forum like this or any community that I'll be able to sell it off quickly. Therefore, I must really think and do through research before committing to the purchase.

TWG: any idea when the new $50/channel vms would be coming up ? And how many fps does the 241q has in single mode?

So I assume you guys mean that if for example in exacq I have a 4screen layout, with screen 1 as the acd200q (in quad mode), Screen 2,3,4 as ip cameras, in screen 1, the image will further be split into 4miniature screens?

Lastly, as mentioned, should I partition my HD or just run vms, OS and recording data on same partition?

Thank you all!

I think the 241q is easy to sell in this forum, however, I live in Singapore and there isn't a forum like this or any community that I'll be able to sell it off quickly. Therefore, I must really think and do through research before committing to the purchase.

Just because you live in singapore doesnt mean you cant sell it here on this forum... as long as you are willing to ship to the USA or some other country, it shouldnt be a big deal.

Lastly, as mentioned, should I partition my HD or just run vms, OS and recording data on same partition?

I think its best, if possible, to have more than 1 drive. Have a regular, small hard drive running your OS/software, and then have another large enterprise drive purely for video recording.

Technically, one drive will work though. There is a nice, easy interface for you to setup your recording options. In my case, my C drive is for my software, my Z drive is my network file share, and the other two drives (E and F) are for exacq video recording. My C drive is a standard HDD, and the other three are enterprise drives:

exacq2-1.png

Edited by Guest

I'll try to see if I can exchange the Hitachi Deckstar to a cheaper 500GB for the operating system and purchase another enterprise hard drive for recording.

If I can't, I'll probably just partition the drive.

alpine: thanks for the image.

TWG: i've seen that data sheet before. However it only states Full Framerate at CIF and not D1. Could u verify before I purchase it ? Also, you were saying u have the 241q for sale, do u ship to Singapore?

Thank you.

TWG: i've seen that data sheet before. However it only states Full Framerate at CIF and not D1. Could u verify before I purchase it ?

This is sorting pins and needles... but the Axis 241Q does not support D1 -- only 4CIF (which is almost the same thing, but just wanted to make sure you knew that)

FYI I have been told Exacq 4.6 will work with Avigilon H.264 cameras

It's about time ONVIF was more than marketing hype.

Best,

Christopher

FYI I have been told Exacq 4.6 will work with Avigilon H.264 cameras

It's about time ONVIF was more than marketing hype.

Best,

Christopher

I'll believe it when I see it

TWG: i've seen that data sheet before. However it only states Full Framerate at CIF and not D1. Could u verify before I purchase it ? Also, you were saying u have the 241q for sale, do u ship to Singapore?.

Alpine can you confirm frame rates with Exacq? .

Edited by Guest

mod note; please conduct business by private message or email, thanks.

TWG: i've seen that data sheet before. However it only states Full Framerate at CIF and not D1. Could u verify before I purchase it ? Also, you were saying u have the 241q for sale, do u ship to Singapore?.

I am running 15fps on 3 of the analog cams in 4CIF, and 20fps on 1 cam. I havent tried to use any higher FPS. I will play with it when I get a chance and see if I can do 30FPS at 4CIF. I am using motion JPEG, btw, not MPEG4.

See top right of this screenshot:

exacqFPS1-1.png

Edited by Guest

MAC address of your computer you plan on using as the server.

Regarding the MAC address using ExacqVision. If you upgrade hardware and get a new MAC address, or move to a new computer, what's involved in moving the license?

MAC address of your computer you plan on using as the server.

Regarding the MAC address using ExacqVision. If you upgrade hardware and get a new MAC address, or move to a new computer, what's involved in moving the license?

The license is linked to the MAC address of your NIC. So if you get a new computer, but use the same NIC, youre fine. If you get a new NIC but the rest of the PC is the same (or if you replace your entire server), you need to contact exacq and get the license moved over.

Correct me if im wrong, TheWireGuys, but it should be as easy as just letting Exacq know, and they can update their database with your new MAC address.

Thanks Alpine! It makes sense they would let you move it. I just hope they don't charge a fee to do so. I work with some software that will ding you for license moves.

Follow up:

Looks like it will do 30fps using motion JPEG. Or maybe I have some lying eyes, I dont know...

You can login to the AXIS 241Q via IE, and set up all of your stuff here. The interface lets you set the FPS anywhere from 1 to 30.

axis_page1-1.png

Then in EXACQ you set your recording FPS here:

exacqFPS2-1.png

And this page shows it as 30fps, too. So as far as I can tell, 30fps is possible at 4CIF using motion JPEG.

exacqFPS3-1.png

I didnt do any tests using MPEG4. I dont have time right now, I have to get on top of some yardwark today

Edited by Guest

Correct me if im wrong, TheWireGuys, but it should be as easy as just letting Exacq know, and they can update their database with your new MAC address.

You contact your dealer and there is a fee from Exacq to transfer licences to a new NIC

Sounds like it makes sense to install a dedicated nic and tie the license to it's mac. That way you can move it between computers without incurring the expense.

Sounds like it makes sense to install a dedicated nic and tie the license to it's mac. That way you can move it between computers without incurring the expense.

Bingo

Yes, or, if the server OS is Windows, you can attach a USB Ethernet dongle. Note that you don't actually have to attach the dongle to the network; it only needs to be attached to the USB port. I used a TrendNet USB Ethernet device and moved it to another windows system and it worked fine. Although Ubuntu will recognize the TrendNet, Exacq will not recognize a USB Ethernet device on Linux, so this will not work on Linux based systems.

Best,

Christopher

I can see where moving back and forth from linux and windows might be an issue. Your really not using the same software compile. I do love your USB ethernet idea. Least cost/hassle when you want to toss together a test system.