Rocket67

Oh Shyte!!! - Break in.

Hi everyone, Newbie Rod here from Australia.

Went outside one morning a couple of weeks ago and found the padbolt on my garage had been cut, padlock removed and garage broken into. Buggers pinched my lawnmower and some power tools.

A sinking feeling set in immediately. Not only about the lawnmower or tools,or just the fact i had a break in , but because this car was parked in there - My pride and joy 69 Mustang Grande Coupe -

076-1.jpg

Fortunately they never touched the car, but knowing that the thieving scum know it is there has caused paranoia to set in. Yes- i should have secured the premises better. They entered the property by hopping over the front fence, which has now been replaced on that side of the house by a 9ft high fence.

Have researched Alarms and about to have a Bosch Solution16 installed, including a sensor in the garage.

Also want to learn all about motion detector camera systems which is how i came across this exceptionally good forum. Bit confused about different cameras and recording systems at the moment, so hope you do not mind if i ask some questions on the forums as i go through the learning curve.

Rocket.

Hi Soundy, Thanks for your warm welcome.

No rust in this Mustang. Imported it from the dry state of Arizona, then took it back to bare metal for a full respray.

Do have another one that is a Fred Flinstone car. Bought that one from Missouri - big mistake!

Rocket

“No rust in this Mustang. Imported it from the dry state of Arizona, then took it back to bare metal for a full respray.”

Anyone who can import a car from Australia has to much money. This guy needs to buy several $1500.00 dollar Mobotix cameras.

“No rust in this Mustang. Imported it from the dry state of Arizona, then took it back to bare metal for a full respray.”

Anyone who can import a car from Australia has to much money. This guy needs to buy several $1500.00 dollar Mobotix cameras.

Imported "to" Australia

And could save that money for a pack of guard dogs and some electrified razor wire and still have money for fosters

Yeah right.... if only i could afford Mobotix cameras.

Always been a battler, but we have a family business which has taken many years to build up, and has provided my dream car or two, but we only draw an average wage each week - probably live on a lot less than you guys. Hence the need to build my own security camera system. Even have to do the fences on my own, getting too old for that.

Oh... we don`t drink Fosters over here. Prefer a nice drop or two of Victoria Bitter. Now that is a real man`s beer

Rocket.

I'd leave the motion detection to the alarm system. Just put in 1 or 2 PIR motion detectors & wire to alarm system. I don't believe in camera motion detection, it always seems to miss things when its needed most. Make sure you've got all the doors & windows with contacts in them wired to the alarm. Maybe set a glass-break detector in there too if you've got windows.

Yes, including the overhead garage doors. Peace of mind that you've shut them when you go to bed.

We use a Honeywell Vista20P, can do most everything you can think of.

Aesecurity is a good vendor, and offers actual support, plus the 20P is covered alot in other forums. Good luck.

Always been a battler, but we have a family business which has taken many years to build up, and has provided my dream car or two, but we only draw an average wage each week - probably live on a lot less than you guys. Hence the need to build my own security camera system. Even have to do the fences on my own, getting too old for that.

Oh... we don`t drink Fosters over here. Prefer a nice drop or two of Victoria Bitter. Now that is a real man`s beer

Rocket.

I scoff at you! VB is a real mans beer? More like the dregs of all the nights beer thats been spilled etc and then all been put back into a vat to be re-served!

Where abouts in Aus are you?

I'd leave the motion detection to the alarm system. Just put in 1 or 2 PIR motion detectors & wire to alarm system. I don't believe in camera motion detection, it always seems to miss things when its needed most. Make sure you've got all the doors & windows with contacts in them wired to the alarm. Maybe set a glass-break detector in there too if you've got windows.

Hi Birdman Adam, Looks to be excellent advice. Will heed your advice about the motion detection. Thanks. Especially like the idea of the glass - break detectors.

Not so sure about the door contacts, as my main doors are normally left open and we rely on the triple locks of the security screen doors. Also have a pet flap for the little dog mounted in the security door. Although i guess reed switches could just as easily be fitted to the security doors?

Rocket.

Yes, including the overhead garage doors. Peace of mind that you've shut them when you go to bed.

Aesecurity is a good vendor, and offers actual support, plus the 20P is covered alot in other forums. Good luck.

Hi mike_va, Just had a look at the Aesecurity Website. The price of the Honeywell Vist 20p is certainly very reasonable, in fact very low. In Australia we always seem to get screwed over on prices compared to what you guys in the USA pay. The components for the alarm i am buying locally is about $975 and that does not include the glass-break sensors or installation. Wonder if the USA alarms can be used in Australia. Not sure about .gov standards requirements or power. In Australia we use 240volt, but i believe you use 110 volt? how would that affect an alarm system?

Our garage doors are sliding doors and only ever unlocked when i am in there, but will fit reed switches to them.

Rocket.

Rocket.

I scoff at you! VB is a real mans beer? More like the dregs of all the nights beer thats been spilled etc and then all been put back into a vat to be re-served!

Where abouts in Aus are you?

Hi Campbell, I realised you were from New South wales soon as i read your opening comment. Pity you guys don`t know a good beer from a bottle of lemonade.

Have to admit though, best glass of beer i ever had was in a leagues club at Paramatta - but it was carlton draught. The Tooheys New was not a bad drop either.

Special occasions however call for Crown Lager. Think i am showing my Melbourne heritage.

Located in Adelaide, South Australia. Been stuck here for over 30 years now, but always consider that i will retun to Melbourne at some stage. LOL!

Thanks for posting.

Rocket.

Wow, Australian beer is just one short step up from American beer (old joke: how is Budweiser like having sex in a canoe? because they're both f**king close to water). Come to Canada if you wanna know what real beer is about

Southerner snobbery

Hey hey! I don't drink New or 4X or Carlton or anything that constitutes barrel scrapings!

Extra Dry, Pure Blonde, Boags, Blue Tongue But what ever your beer preference... welcome aboard!

Wow, Australian beer is just one short step up from American beer (old joke: how is Budweiser like having sex in a canoe? because they're both f**king close to water). Come to Canada if you wanna know what real beer is about

budwesier tastes different from water

It does, in fact... in Canada, we have a number of sayings comparing American beer to horse p*ss.

buds all i drink day and night .. its gerr rate!

now when i want something stronger .. i would just drink the ole rat bat!

+1.

Add some motions and door sensors to the Ademco Vista.

If you get the IP version, you can even set and monitor remotely on your phone.

Best,

Christopher

Wonder if the USA alarms can be used in Australia. Not sure about .gov standards requirements or power. In Australia we use 240volt, but i believe you use 110 volt?

It uses an AC adapter and rectifies that. Which is what you want for reliability. My parent's Honeywell system is still ticking after probably 20 years. Perhaps they have a 240 version, if not let me know and I can tell you how to get it to work.

One thing some overlook debating 24VAC vs. 12V regulated for cameras. 24VAC transformers (if using good design practices) do not wear out, like the capacitors in a switcher (especially best-bid switchers they put in some of these supplies). I have some transformers that are 80 years old and still work fine...

Good cameras all have switchers in them (but this will not be a single point failure for the entire system), to accommodate both 24VAC and 12VDC and get the voltage to something the camera wants to see, in addition to providing isolation.

buds all i drink day and night .. its gerr rate!

now when i want something stronger .. i would just drink the ole rat bat!

Being from Pa, I mostly drink Yuengling.

Having lived in Toronto, I'm partial to Labatts Blue meself. Wondering whether Soundy is my cousin, cos he lives in Maple Ridge BC