Sign in to follow this  
Rocket67

Home camera operating system?

Hi fellas, quick question from an enthusiastic - but ignorant newbie.

Intend to build up a home camera system comprising of 4 indoor and 4 outdoor cameras. Intend to buy reasonably good quality cameras.

From what i have read so far, seems the ACTi ACM 1231 is a pretty good outdoor camera. I believe this is an IP Megapixel camera. If i was to buy this unit - which operating system is best? DVR or Computer card? Would like to view the home setup during the day on the work computer. Also which type of indoor camera would be compatible?

Sorry if the answer is obvious.

Thanks in advance.

Rocket.

To get any answers you have to give better information. For each camera You need to know what kind of detail you are looking for in the picture, like facial recognition or just a overall view. How much area you want to cover. And how much light is available in the day and night. Also if you have a maximum price that would quickly narrow your options down to a realistic system.

Hi Nimrod, appreciate your reply.

Was really talking in a more general sense eg which cameras and operating system - DVR or Computer Card to obtain images similar to the below photos -

Photo by "The Wire Guys" on this Forum

acti1231-1.jpg

and these 2 photos from member Code4 on this forum -

20101002_093948-1.jpg

20101001_195316-1.jpg

Hope it is OK to use the photos from this Forum. Please let me know if i should not use them, because i can delete them if required.

To attempt to answer your questions -

One outdoor camera in full sun for most of the day - no shade, quite dark at night, but have security lights.

Another couple of outdoor cameras under porch and one in afternoon shade.

Indoor cameras - probably dome type in 4 rooms. Reasonable face features required, but no need to go overboard. Lighting inside house during the daytime is average.

Intend to buy a camera every couple of weeks as funds become available. Garage outside camera and also one inside the garage to start with - then build the system up as time and money permits.

Do not want cheap and nasty. Expect each outdoor camera to cost maybe 4-500, and indoors around 2-300, but of course i will need to plan in advance and start with the correct operating system.

Is this a bit better info?

Thanks,

Rocket.

“Intend to buy a camera every couple of weeks as funds become available. Garage outside camera and also one inside the garage to start with - then build the system up as time and money permits.

Do not want cheap and nasty. Expect each outdoor camera to cost maybe 4-500, and indoors around 2-300, but of course i will need to plan in advance and start with the correct operating system.

Is this a bit better info?“

Much better info, you may be right about needing IP megapixel cameras for some of the views, i suspect 4 to $500 may be a little light for them but i am not the IP megapixel expert. Lets see what the experts say.

Otherwise think about getting good quality analog cameras and putting them at choke points were you know they will have to come in, like gates or doors. Then you would not need the expensive megapixel cameras to cover such a wide areas. Possibly post pictures of your house and what you are trying to cover for the best feedback.

Thanks for the tips fellas.

Have spent many hours scouring this forum this week in a bid to do some learning - but confusion reigns. Current thoughts are that the IP camera system may be overkill for a newbie. Have read a few posts suggesting the IP system may be expensive to operate as far as power usage is concerned. Perhaps analogue cameras ARE the way to go.

Have decided to go with an 8 channel system from China in the short term so that i can get something up quickly. Worried about the cars in the garage and on the driveway. Maybe just the presence of the cameras will be better than nothing as a starting point. The system has a DH1708 ( Dahua? ) DVR, 1/3 Sony CCD 540TVL Waterproof CamerasX3 and 5 Waterproof Dome Cameras. My reasoning for buying a system is to obtain all required components to kick things off to get things up and running. Hoping for a reasonable picture. At a total cost of just under $700 i am prepared to test the waters with it.

May puchase a few of the Sony Effio E cameras as the weeks go by and try them out as well.

Will hit the buy it now button in the morning, so should have it up and running in a week or so.

Rocket.

“Have decided to go with an 8 channel system from China in the short term”

I would like to see the specs of that system.

Nimrod, Sent you a message with the links to the system i am writing about.

Just to add to the confusion - and before i place the order -

Was going to buy a Dahua dvr ( model no.DH1608 ), have them fit a 500gb hard drive, then purchase the other components seperately. Being new to all this.. the power supply confused me. Saw three types -

a) A box which appears that it would need to be hard wired to power, then plug in the cameras

b) 2X power supplies each with a one into four cable, which is then plugged into existing power points

c) individual smaller adapter type power supplies which would then need 8 power points - one for each camera.

The kit i am considering has the two power supplies with the 1 into 4 cables thus requring 2 power points only. Is this the best way to go? I know i am showing my inexperience here.

Comments?

Rocket.

"Nimrod, Sent you a message with the links to the system i am writing about."

Nothing showed up, on this post click on the PM button and resend.

Nimrod, have re sent message.

Think i will look over individual components again too.

Thanks.

Rocket.

Dahua DVR's are good DVR's but please note that you wont get the resolution anywhere near what the "Wireguys" posted with that type of system. Megapixel IP cameras and High Resolution Analog Cameras are 2 different animals. Even the high rez Effio-E cameras cannot compare to Megapixel cameras. Nothing wrong with Analog, but if you are expecting Megapixel quality, then you had better plan on Megapixel cameras. Why not contact the "Wireguys" directly and ask him some questions to determine what can fit in your budget to help you plan better.

Also, make sure that if you do go with a Dahua DVR, make sure its a real "dahua". Sadly, I have seen many companies on Alibaba claiming they are Dahua's when they really arent. It appears that these DVR's are now being counterfeited just like the Geovision cards are.

I would also advise you look for a DVR that can support IP cameras unless your prepared to scrap the whole system at some point.

I started out with an Avermedia NV3000 and several cheap cameras. This year I bought my first megapixel Sanyo camera and am going to get several more over the next few months and go all IP. Sanyo HD3300's can be had for just over $600.

The daytime picture quality is stunning compared to some decent WDR domes I bought last year. The WDR's do handle low light better.