Is there anything we can do with this bad harddrives that dies out on the dvrs after a while? I have like 5 of them that have died out on me since 2004 should i just throw them out is there anything else they can be use for.

Nothing really useful...

The disks on the inside are cool (like mirrors). Then there are some strong (but small) magnets in there. If the head still works you could make a hard drive speaker:

How to do it (the actual site is down):

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Sq43j8NdpFQJ:www.afrotechmods.com/cheap/hdspeakers/hdspeakers.htm+http://www.afrotechmods.com/cheap/hdspeakers/hdspeakers.htm&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Basically take the audio output from anything & amplify it so that you get 3~8V, hook that up to the coil that controls the head. You can even split the audio so that smaller drives can be tweeters, & larger ones can be midrange or the subs.

Like 5 in the same computer/dvr?

Personally Ive never had a hard drive die on me other than the only time I ever ran my PC without a voltage regulator/line conditioner, that was over 10 years ago. More recently an old one I put in died, but it was already kicking the bucket when I got it (free).

Make sure you are using a Voltage Regulator/Line Conditioner, or expect frequent failures.

Excessive heat also kills drives.

Might want to try adding a cooling fan or two to the DVR as your problem is heat. Keep it cool and it will last practically forever.

You can always check the warranty status on them - most drives have three years, some five. I realize that won't apply to a drive from 2004, but with newer ones, it never hurts to check.

Are you sure they are actually dead? I would have someone with some computer experience check them to see if they can still be used, if not drive a nail through them and chuck them.