Sign in to follow this  
PoorOwner

Camera cables into attic vents

Does it makes most sense to mount camera somewhere under the eave and run the cable into any vents along the eaves. They are going directly into the attic I believe. Then run the cables to a centralized location from there. The vent grill would need to be cut in order to fit the camera plug through it.

I might do that if the vent was very close to where I was going to mount the camera. I don't like running cables along eves and such. But if the attic is well sealed from bugs and critters then I might think twice before making a hole in the screen big enough to fit a connectorized cable through it. If the siding were wood or some type of Masonite product then that might prove to be easier to seal the hole around the cable then a screen would be.

Thanks, do you just drill through the wall and then use a grommet of some sort?

My exterior walls are mostly stucco.

I notice cable guys usually just drill a hole straight into the room, but mostly seen on wood sidings I have no idea if it apply to stucco.

stucco? take it up and over if you can. i drill a 3/4" hole, pull the siamese cable, tip it, pull it back into the building, backfill with the great stuff. 3/4 hole allows for enough room to pul/push wires and the great stuff seals and is very easy to clear if you need to replace the camera. Most good camera mounts allow for the cables to be routed under the mounting plate so you won't see the hole or stuff. all of the above is in a perfect world so be prepared to think of ways to get it there. manytimes if the cables does not reach i spend a bit more on a camera that will.............one way or the other i get it where i need it.

pulling the cable through vented gables is sometimes easy if you use a long tape measure. just seperate and slide the tape measure down the "vent hall" and connect the wire at one end....pull it back.

attic runs are much easier if you use pullies..............and i use A/C wire plastic cable management "strips" (homedepot) that hold A/C wiring in attics organized. nice piece of gear. just nail them to the truss and run you cable.\

running multiple cables is a pain. i use a passive UTP break out box (eclipse) that allows for 4 camera's. run the 1 utp and then run the RG at both ends for the final runs. of course, power becomes a challenge so i just run 1 18 gauge pair along with the UTP, plug that into a neat little (8) power distribution box (allelectronics) that has fuses in it that reset, and then I bump up the main power box's fuse from 1amp to 2 or 3, depending on the total camera power requirements. this way the main power box APC will keep the camera's up and running during power outages. passive UTP also allows for a nicer look in the building....no huge mass of wires hanging around.

cable/wire thru screens/vents? don't do it. it's tacky and allows for the creature feature.

there are a lot of other options and theories. Stucco? I don't because i don't want the liability of..........water gets behind it and it is your fault.

Ok. I could provide a picture later but the vent is one section of the wood that run horizontally along the eave, looks like a 2x4.

Instead of the vent then maybe I will just drill through the wood?

Good call on orgainizing the camera cables. I don't know if I need to spend extra on a box, my house is small enough (1000 ft 2 bedrooms) and single level probably if all the cables run to the closet it is not a big deal.

BTW. if I want to buy say a camera from cctvimports.com, it says BNC/RCA? Do I just get however many extension/connection length that I need? Or do you guys crimp your own cables?

I do not think the cameras come with cables.

camera's do not come with the cables, only a 3ft cable from the camera that provides video, power, and audio if noted. Some camera's come with a RCA female to BNC male so that you can connect the ready made cables if they are not BNC to BNC.

Yes, i "tip" my connector using a crimp style. crimps the tip and the back shell ring. you'll need a RG-59 stripper also so that the cable is cut proper.

cable, go with siamese RG-59. CCTV imports lso has a decent 12vdc power box with LED lights which makes it easy to check.

i'd drill into the wood and then seal it with "stuff". since you are under the eave you won't be making a noticable hole anyway. i also use a nice RG staple gun, special type that has a nice plastic insert that works great for hiding the cable under the eves.

your starting out. when i first started my mistakes where in buying "cheap" ready made cable and buying camera's that were ABSOLUTLEY the BEST, GREAT, ON SALE, ect. and i ended up with junk. i remember my first x10 and was disappointed. still have it in the box somewhere. lasted a month.

drill the hole as close to the camera and then run it into the attic. maintain a 1 ft clearance of all Ac cables, lights, ect. and you'll be happy that you spent the extra 100 for the crimper tools! read on in this forum and ask.........