jmeader

twisting 12v power cable without using dc connectors

i've had a mare of a day yesterday trying to solder dc connectors and decided there must be an easier way, i cut the dc connector off the camera as i didnt have a suitable connector on the 12v power cable and although i am aware such connectors exist would there be any reason why i couldnt just twist up the black and red wires and wrap them up with insultation tape

they will be housed in an ip44 junction box for added protection

also, do any of you put dessicant inside the junction boxes to remove any moisture or is that a bit ott?

even easier, as long as is in a weatherproof box or indoors, wire nuts.

Electric tape gets really sticky after a while, especially the black tape, it becomes tar like and is a PITA to work with in case of service.

Yup, wire nuts are fine... or any number of different types of crimp connectors. The other problem with just twisting-and-taping is that it doesn't provide any physical strength and if it's stranded wire especially, could work itself loose over time.

Keep in mind that should that camera fail it will not be covered under warranty. Once your clip off the connector your supplier may assume you installed it wrong. Why not use the 2.1mm mating connector?