dssk

3 Axis Dome Camera vs. Other Dome Cameras

is there any advantage of having 3 Axis over other dome cameras? What are the benefits? I am not whether I need 3 axis or not since I am not really sure what 3 axis is good for. Thanks

No they aren't.

(Almost) all domes should allow you to adjust the tilt of the camera module within its yoke, and rotate the yoke within the dome. Three-axis models add the ability to rotate the camera module within the yoke. This allows you to adjust the angle that the camera looks at the scene from. Not such a big deal with a ceiling-mounted dome, but VERY practical if you're wall-mounting. However, NOT all domes add this function!

Wonderful, I am going to be mounting all my cameras to the ceiling so I guess this feature is really not that important for me.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful response!

While I'm here, I would like to ask another question: I want to install one camera right above my POS system which keeps an eye on the screen and the cash going in and out. Is there a special camera or lens that I need for this application?

Wonderful, I am going to be mounting all my cameras to the ceiling so I guess this feature is really not that important for me.

Not AS important, but can still be useful in some instances. If you have the choice of two- or three-axis, by all means, go for three.

While I'm here, I would like to ask another question: I want to install one camera right above my POS system which keeps an eye on the screen and the cash going in and out. Is there a special camera or lens that I need for this application?

Not really... but capturing a POS screen this way can be really tricky, as reflections and varying lighting conditions can really hamper the readability, especially if the text is smaller.

A better idea is to look into POS interface systems - most modern POS terminals can output transaction information as plain text via a serial port, and many DVRs can then capture and log that information, or you can use a text-inserter box that will overlay the text on the video from the POS camera... looks something like this:

possmallJPG-1.jpg

Agree, 3 axis is a nice plus to have. Some installations are fine with 2 axis but many can run into problems where the image is skewed or even sideways.

The CineStar 3-Axis Camera Gimbal is designed for professional dual operator aerial cinematography. The gimbal is designed to allow unrestricted 360 degree panning to allow the camera operator complete creative control in framing and camera movement. Careful attention has been given to ensure the design is as adjustable and functional as possible. Camera technology is evolving and changing constantly and the CineStar gimbal is built to accommodate a wide range of camera options. It includes the ability to top or bottom mount the camera and can be adjusted to fit anything from a GoPro to a Red Epic.

to my knowledge you only need to use a 3 axis camera when you wall mount a dome camera with the dome facing out into the room instead of the dome facing towards the floor (like they way it would when you mount a dome camera to a celling.