Coleslaw

Yet another newbie and a female one to boot..

I knew what a cat5 was, I think we've got some of that knocking around in the Cables-Which-Might-Come-In-Handy nest in The Husband's filing cabinet. Balun and BNC I had to Google but I recognised the BNC when I saw a photo, that's what the vandals ripped out of my ISP's distribution box, leaving me Internetless for four days Don't eBay but I reckon The Husband can find a supplier without too much hassle.

A CATV connection wouldn't likely use BNC - most use F-connectors. F connectors thread on and just use the center conductor of the wire poking through for a center pin; BNCs are a twist-lock and have a solid center pin.

Cameras typically use BNC connectors:

200403JPG-1.jpg

CATV (and cable internet, by extension) will usually use F-connectors:

A5113ABLKJPG-1.jpg

Some cheaper cameras will use RCA connectors - you generally want to avoid those:

212406-1.jpg

I'm here to learn, so could you explain why Sentient bullet cameras in particular, won't work please ?

Like Tom says, the IR LEDs can be quite visible at night, unless you get into a longer-wavelength LED (940nm, vs. the more common 850nm). These tend to cost more, so the cameras tend to cost more, but they will be less noticeable.

As I've said before, my own preference, if at all possible, is a nice motion-sensor floodlight mounted near the camera: a bright light snapping on as often as not will scare a prowler away, and at the very least will elicit the reaction of looking toward the source of the light... which means your subject is then looking very near the direction of the camera, for a good, straight-on facial shot, and in full color.

Oh, and as for running multiple cameras over a single cable: keep in mind that Cat5 is not necessary. It's often used because it's commonly available and often already in place, but baluns will work over just about any sort of pairs. I've done it over 25-pair multicore phone cables, over station-Z wire (four 22-ga. conductors, non-twisted), shielded audio wire, etc. If you have it, you can use Cat3 or other types of older phone wiring as well. The only catch is, you do need one pair per camera.

Evening...

Forgive my ignorance, but why does it need to be covert? Yes I can understand you wanting to catch the stupid bint, but let's face it, she'll get cautioned or fined if caught and might even keep doing it out of spite.

If you have cameras up in very visible places and out of reach and she knows she's being watched and ceases to vandalise your property, then surely you have achieved the desired result anyways?

Throw in some motion sensing floods and you'll be right as rain!

Bear in mind that your IR range is going to be limited especially if you go for the invisible IR options.

Thank you for the useful pix, I think I may have the least desirable type

Can I change the ends or is that being naive ? I'll check the box anyway, x fingers.

I don't want to have to hire a tower scaffold or cherrypicker every time an incontinent seagull scores a direct hit. The more I look at the cameras, the less weatherproof they look

She's not just a bint, she's a shermouta

Icing on the cake..neighbour other side of me must have fallen out with the shermouta, because she's put screening up..only prob is they attached it to OUR trellis which is wholly in our garden and not on the boundary. I'd already agreed to replace two trellis panels this summer with solid panels with trellis tops after neighbour started shermoutaring about the shermouta, if you see what I mean. Impatient much ? Absolutely cheeky too, because I already pulled out three honeysuckles (44.97 GBP) because she whinged about them.

Chav types are rarely brave enough to risk their behaviour being caught on CCTV.

If they are you'll have the evidence you want, if not problem solved.

It is probably better to have most of your cameras on open view, and signage to support it

as Campbell says. Damaging or attempting to damage them is criminal damage and will be recorded.

and will be covered by insurance as chavs rarely have a pot to p*ss in worth suing for and they know it.

Useless information

BNC stands for Bayonet Neill-Concelman (don't ask me )

The bayonet part should be obvious. Paul Neill and Carl Concelman are the 2 guys who invented it

On Saturday, we discovered that person or persons unknown, had attempted to unscrew the 6ft spiked gate which protects the front door. Not sure whether the target was destruction of the dummy camera or an attempt to steal our rather smart black spiked gate. Pity we didn't have the real camera up but the joists run the wrong way and don't allow us to run the cable from a porch camera under the floorboards. I have to wait for the plasterer to finish before we can put in the cabling and trunking.

So our response was lo-tech I'm afraid, The Husband has installed a 3ft spiked gate on the front path and has ordered anti-tamper screws so that anything screwed around the exterior of the house and the garden can have screws replaced with anti-tamper variety.

Police aren't at all interested. They seem to have gotten bored. I wish I was bored instead of stressed. Especially now that other neighbour is demanding that we change trellis wholly in our garden to stop the chav saying hello to them and seeing in their garden otherwise they will build a 6ft wall on OUR boundary.

The bayonet part should be obvious. Paul Neill and Carl Concelman are the 2 guys who invented it

Oh now that we are on first name terms with the designers of BNC plugs, I will feel a lot more confident when crimping plugs on.

I am glad nobody decided to try and bayonet Paul Niell and Carl Concelman

You know there are a lot of metal things gone missing lately, a whole children's playground in my local park too.Wish they could achieve the same with the local moron teenagers.

Oh now that we are on first name terms with the designers of BNC plugs, I will feel a lot more confident when crimping plugs on.

I am glad nobody decided to try and bayonet Paul Niell and Carl Concelman

You know there are a lot of metal things gone missing lately, a whole children's playground in my local park too.Wish they could achieve the same with the local moron teenagers.

Carl, Paul and I go way back I would have had my name on the plug too, but I bailed on my round at the pub the day before so they cut my name! And besides, adding more letters to the end of that would have just made it a mouthful so I'm ok with that! I got my name on a widely sold soup range instead