C7 in CA

Dead pixels?

How common are dead pixels? Is it unusual to have one on a new camera, or do they usually develop over time?

If I'm understanding you correctly (dead pixel = dot of white in picture) I've had one recently on a brand new Speco, brand new GE-Kalatel, and brand new WizKid. Maybe I'm just unlucky!

Thanks guys.

Yeah, white pixel no matter what the shot is. Can only see it at night or when you cover the lens and it's only one in the lower left corner. So not a real big deal. Just disappointing.

Exview based cameras are prone to develop dead pixels over time even while not in use.

I've been lucky enough not getting any dead pixels on cams. But many encounters with LCD displays.

Not necessarily "always white". Can be always black (off) as well. Or in fact any primary color being always on (or off) ..... like a RED DOT on my old VAIO notebook. The sales at Best Buy explained as long as the # of dead pixels per ?? square inches isless than ??, it passes Sony's QC. But he replaced a new one for me anyway.

It's not that unusual to find 'dead' pixel numbers increase as imagers become older. I happened to test out a seven year old camera recently, and that had about half a dozen failed pixels, when previously there were none.

Thanks loop & Cooperman. I used to think dead pixels are only FACTORY DEFECTS, and didn't know they may develop over time.

Let me amend my earlier claim:

"I've been lucky enough not getting any dead pixels on cams, AT THE TIME OF INSTALLATION. "

Exview based cameras are prone to develop dead pixels over time even while not in use.

I bought a used bw exview .0003lux on ebay for 80dollars and it had one dead pixel or tiny light spot in the dark. I am debating whether to complain to the seller or consider it acceptable practice. I have seen stores that sell new lcd monitors will only warranty 8 or more dead pixels. Seems to be that industries standard but I don,t know about these cameras.

I also have a jvc camcorder (vhs c) that I got used with 2 dead pixals.

Edited by Guest