Numb-nuts

Do you have any installation tips?

Have you any installation methods you use, that contribute to making your installation more reliable?

I doubt these are groundbreaking or unique, but I find they work well for me!

When I use CAT5 cable to power a camera, I now always twist the stripped ends together and crimp a bootlace ferrule onto them. For me at least it makes the connections in screw terminals and connector block, far more reliable. It also minimizes the chance of a stray strand shorting out (my eyesight isn't what it once was).

I started doing this when connecting to a PSU / distribution box and caused the power to flicker on and off if the cables were touched at the DVR end. This was too delicate and unpredicatble. Now if I touch the cables on their way into the PSU box, there's no power flicker, the power connections now have real integrity. I do this with all connections at the power box and in connector strip. Slight trimming is sometimes needed after crimping.

another

I am sure many of you probably do this anyway

When finishing off a RG59 BNC crimp I always use the strain relief boots from RG58. They are very tight and although they grab the cable very tight, I smear a little washing up liquid as a lubricant on the cable and close the cable in the crimp tool jaw, behind the strain relief and pressing down on the plug with my thumb, I draw the boot up onto the ferrule. When the lube dries, the boot is REALLY solid and provides superb strain relief. I started doing this because some of the strain relief boots I used were a bit loose. (yes cheap ones)

Last One

When making connections (in a junction box) , I now lubricate all connections with Electro-lube or Contralube. Since I started doing that I have never had to return to check the connections because of condensation or scale. I would imagine that this would also apply particularly in coastal locations where the salty air can be corrosive.

If I have one in my box (I try to always save them), I also place a sachet of silica gel in the junction box.

When I use CAT5 cable to power a camera, I now always twist the stripped ends together and crimp a bootlace ferrule onto them. For me at least it makes the connections in screw terminals and connector block, far more reliable. It also minimizes the chance of a stray strand shorting out (my eyesight isn't what it once was).

I like to strip a bit off the end of the wire, then fold it back at the strip point so the bare wire lays along the insulation... then insert that into the screw terminal. Having the terminal bite down on the wire provides extra strain relief, and less chance of the wire snapping at the strip point if it gets flexed much.

When finishing off a RG59 BNC crimp I always use the strain relief boots from RG58. They are very tight and although they grab the cable very tight, I smear a little washing up liquid as a lubricant on the cable and close the cable in the crimp tool jaw, behind the strain relief and pressing down on the plug with my thumb, I draw the boot up onto the ferrule. When the lube dries, the boot is REALLY solid and provides superb strain relief. I started doing this because some of the strain relief boots I used were a bit loose. (yes cheap ones)

I found that if I didn't strip the wire back far enough, the inner "tube" of the BNC would push under the sheathing, bulging it out and making it impossible to slide the outer boot into place. Then I started using that to my advantage: strip it a little short, put the boot in place, then slide the main piece of the connector into place, forcing it under the sheath, bulging it into the boot, thus making a snug fit BEFORE crimping. After crimping... it ain't goin' no-place.

Of course, I'd rather use compression fittings when possible...

When making connections (in a junction box) , I now lubricate all connections with Electro-lube or Contralube. Since I started doing that I have never had to return to check the connections because of condensation or scale. I would imagine that this would also apply particularly in coastal locations where the salty air can be corrosive.

I use dielectric grease on all my outdoor connections as well, including spade and blade lugs on speakers and screw terminals. I just go to the auto parts store and get the "battery post grease" - same stuff, but a lot cheaper than buying the crap with the fancy name at the electronics store.

hope you charge them extra

Of course Rory, I double up the price from .03 p to 0.6p each.

What's the point if you can't make a profit?

I pay less than that when I buy 1000, I only buy the Takbro ones

as I do when I buy crimp forks or rings. They stay crimped if you use the right size.

Can't say I like the idea of handling greece, I think if I used it it might get everywhere

and I'd have to end up cleaning everything especially the lens.

I like the new compression BNC plugs, but so far there are very few top branded ones available so

I will just continue with my Tyco, Greenpar Amphenol and Multicomp. My crimper was expensive and I don't want to make it redundant just yet. I found out the hard way how poor the cheap far-eastern crimp-plugs are.