Soundy

Some IR questions...

So maybe some of you more familiar with these things can offer some insight...

Got a site - a lounge/restaurant kinda place - that likes to keep the lights dim... so dim that it's become nearly impossible to get clear ID shots of people coming in the door. I currently have a CP484 up there with the fastest varifocal lens I could readily find (an f/1.4 Pelco - tried an f/1.2 8mm Panasonic on it as well, that wasn't much better), and it really isn't great. I put a CNB VCM-24VF off to the side for testing, and it works... okay.

So what I want to look at doing is putting an IR illuminator over the area - something with a short, broad throw. Expecting mounting location to the door is maybe 12' AT MOST... any suggestions on that, and maybe a rough price range (I've never had to actually buy these things before)? Our main supplier can get Raytec in for us. Should I be looking at a "smart" IR? I'm thinking just something low-power should suffice...

Now here's the tricky part: they really want to still get some color under what ambient light there is, especially during the day. I have a Pelco CC3770 TDN camera here with a broken ICR servo, so it should be easy enough to modify for color+IR operation (I'll either leave the ICR out when I reassemble it, or just leave the mechanical servo connection out so I can switch it manually)... but what sort of results can I expect to see? Will this camera's AWB be able to get not-too-hideous control of the picture?

Can you just use a BW camera?

Thats all I use in the clubs here, alway dark, but not too dark for BW.

The mini BW bullets from KT&C are cheap and being black they are basically unnoticeable.

Even in night mode, the 484 and 24VF aren't cutting it... and of course, the "higher-ups" complain endlessly about them not being in color then. But just try to tell them they need more light... nooooo, they want it dim, don't want to ruin the "atmosphere"!

Well, that's what I'm wondering... I figure I'll maintain some color where there IS room light, and just fill in the dark areas with some minimal IR. At least, that's what I'm hoping will work...

How about a focused white light shining across their path at head height. Not sure how little light you could add to bring the color in well, but my 24VF shows good color with very little light.

Edited by Guest

What about the “starlight†analog cameras with the 1/2 inch sensors. I have never used one but maybe someone else here has.

This is one example but there are others .

http://www.toshibasecurity.com/news/041206.jsp

that camera uses the EMCCD, they are VERY expensive, I recall a Samsung EMCCD camera being in the $5000 range, way out of the average consumer's budget. At the time EMCCD started to come about, even the most popular goto high end range for Day Night surveillance, Extreme CCTV, was not near that cost.

I'd just take out the IR cut filter, and let the camera resume normal operation. It will flip the filter over in color mode (which isn't there), and still see in color. It will just be washed out some, depending on the percentage of IR to normal light you have.

I have done similar with a cheap cam, the colors are washed & somewhat inaccurate, but you get color!

Soundy,

How did you make out with this issue. I have a very similar application. I originally had a fixed camera with IR and thought I could replace with similar that had a zoom/focus and get a little adjustment to re-focus the picture. Did NOT work. Now I am looking for a different solution.

Getting rid of the the cut filter makes sense but was wondering if that is what you did, did it work or did you come up with another solution??

Thanks for any input.

Les

I haven't had the chance to implement it yet. One of my suppliers is getting me a Raytec illuminator to demo, but I still have to put the modified camera back together... and it's not a high priority at the moment. Plus we gave the customer a workaround they really like, by putting a camera outside on the street where it can benefit from the overhead lighting in the entrance alcove.

I haven't had the chance to implement it yet. One of my suppliers is getting me a Raytec illuminator to demo, but I still have to put the modified camera back together... and it's not a high priority at the moment. Plus we gave the customer a workaround they really like, by putting a camera outside on the street where it can benefit from the overhead lighting in the entrance alcove.

Ok, thanks. Would be very interested in knowing how it goes. If they really like the outsiide then it may become a non issue.

Les