The "reddier" the led's, the lower the nm values. above 1050 or so, you can't seem them, but most chepo cameras can't "see" the higher led values. Look for cameras with high nm values, but you would probably not find them in cheaper IR bullet cameras.

So are the higher nm led's more expensive?

The reason I ask is because I have a couple of cheapo bullets with the glowing red led's. But the cameras CAN see the invisible light led's. I have tested this by pointing my IR TV remote at them. They see the flashing very well.

730nm - Traffic Light Glow

850nm - Slight Red Glow

940+ nm - Invisible

20-30% loss at 850nm, 50% loss at 940nm. This is with an enhanced IR camera such as the Extreme Cameras. Cheaper cameras like bullets will be much less. Not all cameras are made the same. Bullet cameras will not perform as well as the more expensive IR cameras..

Basically the performance of the camera with Infrared effects the distance that the camera will see under infrared lighting. So while my $1000 Extreme camera can see 150' with a 200' IR Bulb 940nm outdoors, the cheaper cameras will not see that far, if they see the 940nm at all, and quality will not even come close.

this is something I put together for the extremeCCTV IR and Cameras:

It is based on the UF500.

beampattern2.GIF

Rory