antonio-d

New CCTV setup advice please

Morning Forum,

first post so please be gentle, I am looking at purchasing a simple but effective cctv system to install at my holiday home in italy.

I have been looking a systems on "ebay" type:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260781881624&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_5173wt_1141

I just wanted some advice before i go on and purchase this type of setup. I am looking to have at least 5 outside cameras facing around my acre property. The only drama that i can foresee is that all these kits come with 20m of plug and play cables which i know will be too short and also the cables will be passing through conduit in walls and the plugs at the end will definitely not pass through the walls. Any advice on this would be good.

I am confident in doing the work myself i just need some help on understanding the correct kit for me, and what cables i should use to extend the existing cables.

regards

antonio

Morning Forum,

first post so please be gentle, I am looking at purchasing a simple but effective cctv system to install at my holiday home in italy.

I have been looking a systems on "ebay" type:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260781881624&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_5173wt_1141

I just wanted some advice before i go on and purchase this type of setup. I am looking to have at least 5 outside cameras facing around my acre property. The only drama that i can foresee is that all these kits come with 20m of plug and play cables which i know will be too short and also the cables will be passing through conduit in walls and the plugs at the end will definitely not pass through the walls. Any advice on this would be good.

I am confident in doing the work myself i just need some help on understanding the correct kit for me, and what cables i should use to extend the existing cables.

regards

antonio

Have you seen the feed back. cheap crap avoid / buying from china not uk as listed.

and just by changing the cable to good RG59 or cat5 to fit your needs is going to cost more than the whole system costs. then you will also need to upgrade the power supply if you are making your cable runs longer.

outside cameras facing around my acre property.

the cameras will be 15-20m max range.

i will say the same as the feed back he has CRAP.

ok thanks for the heads up. could you help me as to what i may need from a reputable dealer. I like the idea of cat 5 cable as the conduit in the home abroad is 16mm to 20mm and cat 5e should fit nicely.

Our company National Monitoring was established in 1998.

Since then, we at National Monitoring have managed to secure and maintain top contracts throughout Ireland due to our highly skilled staff, reliability and value for money. We are based in Co. Monaghan but have local highly experienced engineers servicing the whole of Ireland. Our Services are intruder alarms, maintenance contracts, 24 hour monitoring, gate automation, access control systems, SMS vehicle tracking, 24 hour support.

[mod edit: link removed] Marc Mullen [mod edit: number removed]

[mod: I think I'll leave this post here just so everyone can see what an idiot you are]

maybe IP camera's are an idea ?

and if the range is not enough from the wifi.

use a wifi amplifier and a external antenna

the image is far more sharp also then wired cams if i understood correct.

IP cameras are expensive and the WiFi option is limited in distance. Cat 5 with baums with work much better and for less money with IP or anolog cameras.

You did not understood correct. Wired vs. wireless has no bearing on image sharpness; neither does IP vs. analog. Megapixel vs. standard is the difference, and megapixel requires IP transmission, but it doesn't matter whether it's wireless or not.

Soundy is correct.

If you're looking at area coverage around a one-acre property, you are probably not going to be happy with regular analog cameras. If you hope to cover the entire property with only five cameras, and have enough detail to determine what's happening out there, you're going to want megapixel IP cameras.

Don't get me wrong... the analog stuff works, and is pretty reliable... but you're not going to have the pixel density to determine who is walking around, ID a vehicle, make out a face, or provide much useful information to the police.

Where analog cameras CAN perform well is if you choose your field-of-view wisely, and focus those cameras on walkways, gates, doorways, etc... but then you lose the area coverage. Megapixel IP cams are the only thing that will give you area coverage AND the potential sharpness/detail to see who/what is happening.

Just my non-professional opinion.