ssnapier

Mobotix... and general IP camera question when using NAS

I have not had a chance to play with this and find the answer on my own, but it is driving me crazy so hopefully one of you wise gentlemen can help me out. When you are recording directly to a NAS, (I do realize that most cameras don't to this, but I use primarily Mobotix stuff so I do it almost every time) does the camera still manage the files and overwrite as needed or does it just record and record until the NAS gets full? On the one setup where this might matter, each camera is set with a 1.5Gig limit and is also set to only save 15 days of images. So is the camera smart enough do the file management on it's own or am i still going to need a script on the NAS to manage/delete the old files?

I am using a QNAP TS-459-RU in case that matters in your answer.

That still does not answer my question though. What I am asking is will the camera delete the files regardless of where they are being recorded, or will it only delete files if I use an on board SD card?

I already knew that the QNAP would not do it on it's own, and I have put scripts in place on my non-Mobotix NAS to make sure files get deleted. What I need to know is if I have a QNAP NAS recording ONLY Mobotix cameras will the camera software still manage the files based on the number of days I tell it to record or will I need a script on those devices as well? Each camera is currently set to record for 15 days, but since I am 4 hours from the site I cannot check on it very easily. I am just trying to find out if I need to install a deletion script on the NAS or if the cameras will continue to manage their own files (which are now remoted to the NAS).

the mobotix cameras will manage the file deletion based on the size or days you do not have to write a script -- we also use qnap 459 pro and mobotix cameras for our installs

We have a bunch of Mobotix writing to cheap NAS devices for years, no problems, it manages files if it get full as we have them setup to write unlimited per camera. 1.5GB per camera is a joke right? We use that per camera in about 2 hours. We run 3-4 camera per NAS, when we push beyond that we get error in the log saying it's losing recordings.