jeromephone

all solid state dvr

Just had another harddrive give die today on a Pc based dvr

when are we going to see the harddrive replaced by something solid state?

some of the voice mail systems we sell are now on a pcmia card I know they need a lot less storage. In cctv heaven all dvrs would be imbedded operating systems and use removal pcmia cards for storage

maybe on geovision ver 22.6? anyone heard about any work on these lines?

Was it at least a SATA Drive?

Did you have your PC on a Voltage Regulator or Line Conditioner?

Use those 2 things and you should never have a problem.

Ive had the same Voltage Regulator since 1996, never lost a hard drive, and im talking IDE drives, and we have 100% worst power than the USA., with brownouts every day on and off, power outages every day during the summer months .. surges every couple minutes, you name it, the ancient second hand main and only generator our electric company has is crap .. i would never plug anything i want to keep, directly into a socket unless it has a voltage regulator .. but thats just me

Hope you were not using Maxtor hard drives - for at least 2 years we had very serious problems with this brand for their ATA and SATA drives. No matter what we did, it was failing out of box or within 30 days. There were some very serious problems with them and even the manufacturer admitted....

After switching to Western Digital and to Seagate, no more problems...

In some cases you can use SATA, but again who is the manufacturer of your DVR???... Mostly it will be dependent on DVR's requirements or if it will support SATA...

Levon

Maxtor is an awful hard drive. We have been having the same issues. Panasonic recommends them as a replacement for their DVR's. Someone must be paying someone.

The best drives for affordable price are Seagate.. they warranty them for 5 years, the main problems are as rory has suggested, using an adequate TRUE WAVE pwer supply to keep the voltage regulated and a UPS device with Buck and Boost technology will definately extend the life of your drive.. mind you the most common reason for a drive to fail other than physical parking of heads... is stupidly mounting them one on top of each other.

In the race for speed we created heat and drives need a space between them unless in coolong bays or with an adequate fan in front of them... once I chnged to antec cases I felt comfortable stacking them on top of each other because they were Sata....less airflow blockage .. and a onster fan was in front of the device.

Try seagate..use a good case and dont mount them on top of themselves!

The problem with Soild state is cost and reliability. Decent storage for 14 days in CF or SD is just a massive amount of flash cards. Second is that soild state has much few read/writes in it's life span. IBM's NRAM should help but we'll be waiting a few more years for that.

Maxtor is ok. I have been using them since 1995, and had only a couple go bad. It was recently when there quality control team let prices effect quality, you get what you pay for. They moved there 3 year warranty to a 1 year warranty. I only use Western digital and Segate, but for the money I usually buy the Segate for the 5 year warranty.

I had the pc plugged into a miniutman e750 ups and I don't think heat was a problem ac and in a rackmount case with spaceing and 3 fans.

I will note the types and brands mentioned it this thread these drives were western digital.

rorey are you talking about useing a line condx as well as a ups or instead of a ups.

Totally different from a UPS .. UPS doesnt regulate the incoming voltage. A UPS is just a temporary battery back up.

You can buy it seperate, or they have some UPS with them built in now. Seperate is more common and least expensive. All electronic and most computer stores sell variations of these. APC has some decent ones, cheaper than TripLite. Generally PC Stores will call them Line Conditioners, Electronic Stores will call them Voltage Regulators. The APC 600 watt unit costs around $30 retail, and can hold a couple PCs, TV, and a few monitors/TVs, at least they do fine with my set up, ive had a total of 4 PCs at a time, but normally just 2 all the time, 2 TVs, a PC monitor, and a CCTV Monitor, speakers, Router, Cable Modem, and 3 or 4 cameras. This is not a UPS and not battery back up.

Rory

I would go with what Rory said. The voltage regulator completely makes a difference on Hard drive life. Though we don't nearly have the problems in the U.S. as they do in other countries, voltage regulators do more than you think. If you've ever put your meter in an outlet and seen the voltage fluctuate even 3 or 4 volts it wears down the components over time. Using the voltage regulator will help out tremendously.