John_lin78

Picture Quality vs Recording Speed

Hey all,

it's has been a discussion within me and a couple friends. What do you think is more important: picture quality or recording speed?

People nowadays all looking for real time recording, but we all know that faster recording speed = poorer picture quality.

Personally I would go for picture quality, so what's your call?

For security purposes, picture quality is number 1. Its useless having super fast recorded video, but the persons face is just a blob

Remote video can be totally different, as lower the quality the faster the live stream is. For remote video the most important is going to be speed. But there has to be an option to turn up the quality so one can obtain different levels of quality until it is the best the compression will give, or choose a compression connection type on logon.

Check out the Iview PC dvr for an example of the best remote video software I have used to date. They lack in other areas but just cant beat the remote video feature. Put that in a stand alone and its good to go ..

Rory

its sold by ameba, so any distributor that sells Ameba.

Basically, if you want the features, and actually the higher res, its Geo, i mean there are others Im just going by what I have used - Geo is loaded with features, and accessories that no other PC Card DVR manufacturer has. Eclipse which uses the Digiflower card, also has 720x480, but it has other issues.

Currently, this may change, if you want simple simple multi site multiview remote software, not too concerned about playback or other local features, just basic playback/search modes, then the Iview is a decent card, and can save some money. It is much larger than the Geo card though, but they do also have the DSP card, as most other DVR cards do now. Not sure how it works on the Iview though.

Rory

Edited by Guest

Hmmm, the dongle thing? they dont use them anymore.

After using GE Dvrs, a bunch of lower end stand alones, Eclipse (Digiflower), Iview, and now Geo, i can probably answer your questions, but first, why does it suck to you ...

yeah picture quality is THE most important thing in terms of evidentiary proof.

but if that true, then why people now all focus on "real time" aspect of the technology? is that because we have already reach the limit or simply recording speed is easier to improve?

people always want more ... they see something on TV, but dont realise it doesnt really exist

There is always plenty room for improvement... That limitation of PCI bus will BEGONE! one day... and we will see hi-res cameras streaming their video on HDD... 16! NO! 32! at a time... some day....