foxguard

Camera over 100 meters from the DVR

Hi every one,

New to Forum and learning CCTV as well so be gentle!!

I have a customer who wants CCTV at his stables and the entrance to the yard is over 100 meters away. As I understnad it, CAT5 cable can not take data any further than 100 meters.

First... is that correct?

Second... what are my options to get the data to the DVR?

I know there is a wireless bridge but am yet to use or install one of these... are they easy? Much set up? Any help would be great .

Also, is thre any device that can be installed to boost the signal further than 100 meters meaning the bridge would not be needed?

Any advice would be great and if you can add links to any thing you suggest would be really good!

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry if a simple question!

Hi every one,

I have a customer who wants CCTV at his stables and the entrance to the yard is over 100 meters away. As I understnad it, CAT5 cable can not take data any further than 100 meters.

Not entirely. It depends on what type of "data" you're sending.

100m is the design limit for ethernet. If you're using IP cameras via an ethernet connection, you'll need to use an extender(s), or some sort of midspan repeater. If you're doing this, and there are multiple cameras, I'd recommend running all the cameras into one switch at their location and having only a single data connection back to the DVR location, to keep costs down, as extender/repeater options can get expensive.

HOWEVER... if you're talking about analog cameras, then you're not using ethernet, you're just running a video signal over a twisted pair, and basic cheap passive baluns will easily give you a few hundred meters... more if you use active baluns.

What is your estimate of how far over 100 meters it is.

Approx 120

Hi every one,

Not entirely. It depends on what type of "data" you're sending.

100m is the design limit for ethernet. If you're using IP cameras via an ethernet connection, you'll need to use an extender(s), or some sort of midspan repeater. If you're doing this, and there are multiple cameras, I'd recommend running all the cameras into one switch at their location and having only a single data connection back to the DVR location, to keep costs down, as extender/repeater options can get expensive.

HOWEVER... if you're talking about analog cameras, then you're not using ethernet, you're just running a video signal over a twisted pair, and basic cheap passive baluns will easily give you a few hundred meters... more if you use active baluns.

Yes would be CAT5 IP cameras, would only be one that distance away. So a midspan reaper would do the trick.... sorry for being dumb... is this a type of booster? Does it take the signal and boost it on?

An ethernet *segment* is limited to 100m, not the entire run. So a "midspan repeater" could be a simple $20 10/100 5-port switch anywhere that keeps both segments to <100m. That may not be convenient in a setup like this, however, as you would need to find somewhere in the run to install and power the switch/repeater.

An extender would be something like these (for example): http://gemelec.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=68&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1 - those would simply require one at each end.

Thank you soundy for your advice. So in furture set ups,a simple switch would be good enough if running over 100M

For this job a switch might not work...

So what you are suggesting would it be---

75 m 50m

camera ----- extender (needs power?) ----- extender --- DVR

Also the wioreless bridge i spoke of, are they simpl PnP or do they require setting up? Assume for safety they have to have some form of set up etc.....

A switch would be like... camera <--- up to 100m ---> switch/repeater <--- up to 100m ---> DVR

With extenders, you could do camera <--> extender <----------- up to 1200m -------------> extender <--> DVR

One last Q... if I was to be searching for the repeaster.... what uis the best search words... midspan reapter.. cat5 repeater... ? any ideaS?

HI

I have used a 305 meters of cat5e cable for a normal analog IR camera u only need utp baluns at both the ends. also the baluns with video , audio & power are usefull as you can supply power also thru 300 meer cable . as far as i know this cat5e cable can work upto1500 meters with only baluns .

1500 meters is quite a stretch for both passive baluns and power on CAT5. Analog video will work well to around 300 meters +/- using passive-passive baluns; to about 600 meters using active-passive (active at either end); and to about 1000 meters using active-active (active at both ends).

Power is a different story. Even basic cameras draw enough current to severely limit the distance power can be sent over CAT5; even using multiple pairs for power.

HI

I have used a 305 meters of cat5e cable for a normal analog IR camera u only need utp baluns at both the ends. also the baluns with video , audio & power are usefull as you can supply power also thru 300 meer cable . as far as i know this cat5e cable can work upto1500 meters with only baluns .

Did you miss the part where we already covered this and the OP stated he is working with IP cams?