lely09

Video Balun Recommendations Cat5 or Cat6 to BNC

Wondering what type of Cat5/6 to BNC video baluns people have used and seem to like over others.

We're using these almost exclusively now: http://gemelec.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=721&category_id=72&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

blnmtl2-1.jpg

The run something like $8/pr. wholesale (I've seen them online for $5/pair), they work great (did a bunch of tests on my bench, no visible difference between these and several models running $20-$30 *each*), and they're small enough to fit easily inside a CNB VCM-24VF's back-box.

The only time recently I've used something different was when we used a few pairs of MuxLab four-in-one baluns for a large install: http://www.muxlab.com/products/vec_quad_video_balun.htm

78072-1.jpg

Everyone seems to be using mainly baluns for video? Am I the only one who also uses them for video+power, and even sometimes video+power+ptz?

vbdvt70011-1.jpg

I've used those types... found it more hassle overall to have to terminate the cable in RJ-45s, then extend out the power tails. Since 99% of the cameras we use are dual-voltage or 24VAC and DON'T use barrel power connectors, there's no benefit to that style, either. I just split out the power pairs as necessary.

I've used NVT's passive balun (with the whip tail), but had issues with shorts in the whips on a LOT of them.

Now I predominantly use Pelco TW4001P at the cameras:

r02u60-1.jpg

When we built this building, we recycled a lot of equipment from our previous temporary structure, including both active and passive UTP receivers. For runs more than about 300 feet, the image quality was rather poor with the passive receivers.

Now I use all active receiver hubs on the head end. Pelco CM9700UTP32A (current and older models)

3586sdc-1.jpg

and NVT NV-3272. NVT has awesome warranty service, btw.

2q07s49-1.jpg

On big jobs I also use the following:

utp101pvrm121-1.jpg

With

utp116pvsv361-1.jpg

utp116pvsv362-1.jpg

The receiver/hub sends 36V to the camera, and the balun on the cameras end lowers whatever voltage it receives to 12V. This way it makes installation very easy, UTP runs of any length (which in the future will need no changes if there is a need to upgrade to IP cameras), and I do not need to worry about different voltages reaching the cameras due to different cable lengths, since the balun on the camera end will just lower it to 12V.

The receiver/hub sends 36V to the camera, and the balun on the cameras end lowers whatever voltage it receives to 12V. This way it makes installation very easy, UTP runs of any length (which in the future will need no changes if there is a need to upgrade to IP cameras), and I do not need to worry about different voltages reaching the cameras due to different cable lengths, since the balun on the camera end will just lower it to 12V.

Kinda neat, but what if your cameras only work on 24VAC?

Ok so best overall Balun available @ online stores and distributors (north america) ... anyone?

Also any that can run 24VAC 300ma 1000'?

Any of them with Active?

Ok so best overall Balun available @ online stores and distributors (north america) ... anyone?

Any of them with Active?

rory can pass you a lead to buy direct. been using a company for 4 years and has never let me down

$1 for a pair.

blnmtl2-1.jpg

At a $1 a pair, can you send me that contact and used by our fellow members!!!

+1 on that! Looks like they would work great for my new system.

I ended up ordering the following Baluns, and i must say , the image is stellar...I used these in combination with Cat5e...

[edit by mod-store link removed]

I ended up ordering the following Baluns, and i must say , the image is stellar...I used these in combination with Cat5e...

Did you have to install any in an outdoor housing? Just curious if there was enough room in the unit.

Thanks,

Chuck - SDMF

Just read that they make Cat6 UTP Solid Cables (OutDoor), does this mean I don't need conduit for this type of cable?

If it's outdoor-rated, you don't need conduit to protect it from the elements... but you may still need it if physical tampering is a concern.

Keep in mind that Cat6 itself is about three times the price of Cat5e... outdoor-rated is probably 4-5 times the price of that. Conduit and Cat5e will probably be a lot cheaper.

I used a $6 Video/Audio/Power Balun on CAT5e for my PTZ which is 24v. I went to an electronics shop and got some RCA socket connectors ($1 each or less) and connected a short length of electric cable (about 3 inches or about 70mm) to the +/- on the DVR's RS232 (RS485 would also work) and the other end to the RCA socket being sure to keep in mind the +/- was connected to on the socket. I then connected the Audio RCA connector on the balun into that socket coming out of the DVR. Then on the PTZ, I connected it's RS232 cables +/- in the same location on another RCA socket as was with the DVR. I then simply plugged in the balun's audio connector in and, voila! Done! Very clean solution to do power/ptz/video on the one cable and one set of baluns without loss. Was about 30-40 meter run.

Any of them with Active?

rory can pass you a lead to buy direct. been using a company for 4 years and has never let me down

$1 for a pair.

blnmtl2-1.jpg

I tried to contact rory to find a supplier who sells these but he disabled his PM for anyone. Do you happen to know where I can buy these for $1 for a pair?

Any of them with Active?

$1 for a pair.

blnmtl2-1.jpg

I tried to contact rory to find a supplier who sells these but he disabled his PM for anyone. Do you happen to know where I can buy these for $1 for a pair?

EBAY.

new from china

its all i use on my system and they work very well.

nice 'n' cheap too

EBAY.

new from china

its all i use on my system and they work very well.

nice 'n' cheap too

Thanks, I'll check on eBay for them. I think the prices on these have went up slightly.