highjoke

CCTV camera in elevator !

Hello,

I'got called from one of my clients and asked to take a look at the camera in elevator.

I heard that only elevator company allowed to do a work in elevator cabin.

I am in NY. Can anybody give any information on that ?

Can I perform a camera test and replace it if it's not wiring issue ?

Thank you in advance.

I don't know about NY law specifically, but I can't see any reason you'd need an elevator tech there just to work within the cab. Working ON TOP OF the cab or within the shaft may be another matter as there would be safety concerns, but inside the passenger area, I can't imagine there would be any concerns.

I don't know about NY law specifically, but I can't see any reason you'd need an elevator tech there just to work within the cab. Working ON TOP OF the cab or within the shaft may be another matter as there would be safety concerns, but inside the passenger area, I can't imagine there would be any concerns.

You can install cam inside but actual connection must be done by elevator tech

providing power to cam bla,bla

at least in Alberta

Can I just replace the camera (take old camera out and install a new one) in a cabin without calling elevator company ?

Can I just replace the camera (take old camera out and install a new one) in a cabin without calling elevator company ?

lift shafts are a hard call. just to cover yourself just call the lift company. there are so many regs all differant all over the world.

here in the UK wether it be a holiday inn or hilton the lift does not belong to them. the space the lift shaft takes is leased out to the lift company. everything in that space belongs to the lift company (many are otis) and nothing can be added or repaired without concent from them

Thank you for your response Tom.

Hope that somebody from NY will have a chance to add some on that.

Want to be on safe side.

Hi all,

Want to post it as FYI:

The appointment was setup with elevator's company, it was agreed that technician will come and bring both camera's wires inside the cab, so I will be able to troubleshoot and fix the problem.

On the day of appointment technician called me and I've confirmed one more time whats needed. He called me back after 20 min and said that problem has been found and fixed (power cable at the top of cabin was disconnected).

Nice and easy!!!

I reckon to that there would be no problems when you are going to work inside the passenger gondola. That should actually post no danger unless of course you decide to be stationary right at the top floor when you could be staying at the ground. But working on the elevator shaft and all the mechanical stuff at the top part would be a different story. I reckon that a mechanic need to supervise you just to be safe.

here in the UK wether it be a holiday inn or hilton the lift does not belong to them. the space the lift shaft takes is leased out to the lift company. everything in that space belongs to the lift company (many are otis) and nothing can be added or repaired without concent from them

It's the same way in the states. Elevator company usually owns the shaft and everything in it, need their permission to do any work there because they are liable for anything going wrong.