johnmaclean

Residential Simple Camera Setup - right track?

OK - I have a client that is looking for a $4K or so solution that requires 4 outdoor cameras.

I've had good success with vivotek before - but am looking for any better options. For the DVR I'm thinking simple - since they don't need want a control center - so look at the AverMedia

Need: Outdoor, weatherproof (i.e. winter) cameras. Ability to record at location up to 7 days. Ability to remotely view on a blackberry and android device. ABILITY TO ADD MORE CAMERAS later.

Nice to have: Ability to also view on TV on location, backup to internet

So far I'm leaning to:

Vivotek 7361 cameras

Avermedia EH1008

2TB Drive

My concern is adding more IP cameras if required - can I easily more IP cameras beyond 4 by adding hardware and not end up with having multiple viewing setups. In other words - if we add 2 IP cameras - can it still be controlled/recorded/viewed remotely all in one place if I add some hardware (since the rating on the EH1008 is only 4 IP cameras + 4 analog).

I have a thought to change the NVR to the Vivotek NR8301 - but haven't heard/read much in terms of reviews on them....

Also - just wondering best type of wiring and/or anything else I am missing on this setup....

What are the needs and characteristics for each area of coverage? e.g. resolution/pixel density (activity, identification, etc.), scene distance, scene dimension, lighting levels, speed of targets, etc.

Decide on cameras, lenses, then work back through network, server, storage, and other requirements (with the budget limit hanging over it all like a dark cloud).

The quick answer is for viewing activity - not facial recognition - each camera looking to cover a 25 foot distance, with 30 feet wide of viewing.

Very low light - so likely going to have to add sensored lights or external IR I suspect....

Now leaning more to going all Vivotek - including the nvr.....

Do not buy this NVR. After power loss it is not starting automatically. You have to send someone every time to turn it on!!! Even with the newest firmware the problem persits. Vivotek knows about it but refused to fix it.

Vivotek's issues are not bugs, they are undocumented features

ACTi has a nice affordable NVR, about $800ish street price for 16 channels for ACTi cameras. Combined with KCM-5611's, that would be a good setup for about $4K that is autofocus, 18x zoom, really good at night, illuminators built in.

On a more affordable note, Dahua has very nice 1080P bullets with good low light performance (see review on my blog) and the Dahua NVR is cheap. 4 cameras, 1080P + NVR is probably $2K and be way better than Vivotek. Dahua has smart phone apps for just about any smart phone out there including the obvious Android and IOS. The Dahua NVR supports a series of other cameras, not just Dahua.

Also in that budget, consider Axis. They make some cameras that work with the Camera Companion software which is free. The cameras record to a NAS or internal SD storage. The Camera Companion gives you an interface over the recordings to make it look like an NVR. You may spend more on the cameras, say P33 domes, but save on the NVR, just a 1TB NAS for $150ish may come out to $4K. The new P33 model coming out any day now will have their Lightfinder technology and built in illuminators. Can't go wrong with Axis.