Quick question - I am installing Vivotek 7361 IP Cameras - wired back to a central network switch.

Most of the cabling is outside - so my option is to run Cat 5e with RJ45 ends - which is a bit of a pain - but I need the POE to power the camera (no power at the camera location).

It seems there is a better way - and perhaps even something easier - but I'm not clear on what that would be....

Suggestions?

Quick question - I am installing Vivotek 7361 IP Cameras - wired back to a central network switch.

Most of the cabling is outside - so my option is to run Cat 5e with RJ45 ends - which is a bit of a pain - but I need the POE to power the camera (no power at the camera location).

It seems there is a better way - and perhaps even something easier - but I'm not clear on what that would be....

Suggestions?

a Vivotek POE Injector would be the best way for you if you are just using 1 camera.

thumb_mspoeijaf-1.jpg

Suggestions?

a Vivotek POE Injector would be the best way for you if you are just using 1 camera.

thumb_mspoeijaf-1.jpg

Thanks for the reply - the switch can deliver the POE - does the injector then use cat 5 cable? Or what cabling needs to be run with it?

Suggestions?

thumb_mspoeijaf-1.jpg

Thanks for the reply - the switch can deliver the POE - does the injector then use cat 5 cable? Or what cabling needs to be run with it?

hi. yes you only need cat5 with rj45 at each end... how long will the cat5 run be ??

For sure under 300 feet - I suspect the longest at 150 feet.

A lot of the Cat 5 will be outside - so I was going with the 'buried' - but does that still need conduit around it?

I guess the other option is Coax with baluns to make the run....but the more I read, the more it seems if we have the budget (we do) - Cat 5 would be better....

Baluns are used to run analog video (or audio) over twisted-pair; they won't do anything for IP or coax.

You're probably thinking of IP-over-coax adapters, but those are more intended to make use of *existing* coax for IP installations... and with most of them, you still need to get power to the cameras.

PoE (Power over Ethernet) provides power along with the ethernet communication on the Cat5e. It's seamless and will work with any standard Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6 cables - the whole idea is that you don't have to worry about extra wiring or weird splicing or anything. A PoE injector like Tom showed is designed to add PoE to a single run; if you already have a PoE switch, you don't need injectors.

Baluns are used to run analog video (or audio) over twisted-pair; they won't do anything for IP or coax.

You're probably thinking of IP-over-coax adapters, but those are more intended to make use of *existing* coax for IP installations... and with most of them, you still need to get power to the cameras.

PoE (Power over Ethernet) provides power along with the ethernet communication on the Cat5e. It's seamless and will work with any standard Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6 cables - the whole idea is that you don't have to worry about extra wiring or weird splicing or anything. A PoE injector like Tom showed is designed to add PoE to a single run; if you already have a PoE switch, you don't need injectors.

Great! I appreciate the response from all - a big help.....I am going to go with POE switch (so shouldn't need the injector) - and runs of cat 5 / cat5e buried cable to the exterior cameras...

Also likely will put in surge protection on the cat5 line.....

Thanks all - I'll be sure to contribute results when I have them....