Tegguy

Newbie: Need help designing system

First of all thank you in advance for the help. I recently purchased a home and there have been a couple auto break-in's in the past couple months. There are not fences between neighborhoods and that is how they are getting through by simply cutting through yards. I plan to put up a fence but my neighbors do not. I'd like to design a surveillance system to monitor the outside of my house and the inside.

I was thinking of about a 6 or 8 camera setup. I would put one on the side of the house that would face the area they come from (almost complete darkness) and one monitoring my backdoor (same light conditions) and I was thinking one watching the front door (same light conditions) I also wanted to put one monitoring my driveway (low to no light conditions). I'd like to put one in my garage and one or two inside the house.

I plan to use a computer based setup as I have a ton of spare PC's. I really know nothing about any of this stuff and am having trouble finding the information. I'd like to keep it around 1500 but might be willing to go more. I'd need cameras and software. Also I plan to install and configure everything myself.

Advice/Opinions/Suggestions are all welcome.

Analog or IP? If you want a 6+ camera system for $1500, its probably gonna have to be analog.

Others can recommend you a good DVR card... These are usually PCI-express (although PCI are surely available as well) cards with BNC inputs. Some have audio and alarm IO as well. These cards are coupled with VMS. (Your DVR software). There are options for all OS's.

As far as specs for the PC, many rather basic computers are up to the task, but a couple musts include sufficiently fast hard drives and a processor that can chew through all the video in real-time. RAM is not a big deal, and neither is the video capabilities. With 6-8 cams, a single SATA drive could surely handle it with room to spare. Although you may consider some RAID configuration... I'm not sure a P4 would like this job, so forget the older PCs. Any dual core will be fine.

As far as cameras, I can strongly recommend CNB's True Day/Night cameras with the Monalisa chip. I have used the VCM-24VFs, and they are great bang-for-the-buck. Sounds like you need good low-light viewing. Camera signal can travel down RG59 coaxial cable, or down a pair inside cat5 cable using baluns at each end (this is cheaper!).

What is the biggest difference from analog to IP? other than the obvious. What price range would I need to step up to IP camera's?

The PC I will probably run a 3 or 5 drive raid 5 setup with 1.5 TB drives in a server I have available. I suppose I should say the 1500 does not include building a computer but does include about 150 for hard drives

I do need good low light viewing and good distance on at least 2 of them

I want this setup to be easily viewable over the internet

I'd like to keep it around 1500 but might be willing to go more
I was thinking of about a 6 or 8 camera setup. I would put one on the side of the house that would face the area they come from (almost complete darkness) and one monitoring my backdoor (same light conditions) and I was thinking one watching the front door (same light conditions)

your main problem is your budget. bad light conditions will need extra lighting. like eco pir lights

i would say look at Analog with your budget. you could take a look at avermedia hybrid cards and use both analog and ip cameras and add to your system when your budget allows.

but i would start with your lighting first.

If your lighting is almost complete darkness then the VCM-24VF probably would not be a great camera, even though it does have a decent Lux rating. Your going to have to either add external lighting, IR illuminators, or IR cameras.

If your lighting is almost complete darkness then the VCM-24VF probably would not be a great camera, even though it does have a decent Lux rating. Your going to have to either add external lighting, IR illuminators, or IR cameras.

my whole system is comprised of VCM-24VFs, 8 cameras, and for those areas where there is ZERO light, i use the CNB MIR1000, these IRs are cheap. and put out a lot of light...

your main problem is your budget. bad light conditions will need extra lighting. like eco pir lights

What kind of budget would I need for a decent/good setup? for just the cameras

my whole system is comprised of VCM-24VFs, 8 cameras, and for those areas where there is ZERO light, i use the CNB MIR1000, these IRs are cheap. and put out a lot of light...

Can you plz post sample pix from your CNB cams

Thx

I'll repost this because i think it got buried

What kind of budget would I need for a decent/good setup one analog setup and one IP setup? for just the cameras

Can you plz post sample pix from your CNB cams

Thx

I would strongly recommend this link

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=basic+electricity+101

??? he was looking for sample images from your cameras. I would like to see too.

??? he was looking for sample images from your cameras. I would like to see too.

ok, now that your asking, i will work on it, when i get a chance...

Once again I'll repost this because i think it got buried by the other unrelated questions

What kind of budget would I need for a decent/good setup one analog setup and one IP setup? for just the cameras

Hi- having just about completed my home install and just above a clueless newbie, I would suggest a stand alone dvr and and eight camera system. I originally planned on four cameras, but VERY happy I went with eight. You'd be surprised how easily you can put eight cameras to work, even just residential. And frankly, it gets a bit addictive too.

What I have learned is that it's best to put together the pieces of the system separatley. I can only speak from experience with a Q-see dvr, but my eight channel has been absolutely flawless since the moment I turned it on, and it has weathered power outages and all. Love this thing. I remotely view via the internet and it's great. I like the dedicated dvr as opposed to a pc card. I like gear that's designed to do the job specifically, as opposed to involving a computer. But that's me. I've also come across cameras from gadspot [dot com] and I am very pleased with the quality for the price point. I have one and I'm in the process of replacing all my q-see cameras with them, in different varieties according to where they're placed. My gadspot camera has endured heavy rain, lightening storms, and power outages and keeps on giving me a fine picture day and night.

So a ballpark breakdown of a DIY system installed by yourself could look like this-

DVR with 500 TB HD installed- 250.00 [look on amazon for the Q-See QS408-5, the user pictures are mine and I have a video review as well in the review section] You can put a 1 TB HD in there as well, and even hook up a usb external HD for archiving- any size you choose. I'm assuming you have a computer screen to hook up to.

Eight cameras of at least decent quality for viewing day/night 60- 100 bucks. Let's say 75 bucks a camera. I can already hear the pro installers laughing at this one, but you can be very happy with gadspots in this price range, imo. Check my thread for gadspots in the security camera forum here for pics.

Cables are tough. You're mostly gonna use 60- 100' lines and there are varying qualities out there in the premade variety. Let's say, shopping around, you come up with shielded 100' lines for 25 bucks a pop. Cheaper lines are less, heavier lines where you install the BNC & power connections yourself is more.

UPS- you seriously need a ups with surge protection to plug the whole system into. I went to staples and picked one up for 50 bucks on sale.

So in all ballpark- 1,100 bucks. If you need some odds and ends, make it 1,200 or so. If your budget can handle a bit more- put the money into better cameras where needed for near dark conditions. But that budget can give you a nicely viewable system and depending on how you install the cameras, it'll give you useful evidence captures. You have to break your ass installing the whole thing but in the end, this is a realistic budget for a DIY install with budget gear that gives good results.

Of course with anything, your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Dan

Once again I'll repost this because i think it got buried by the other unrelated questions

Hi Tegguy,

I'm a pre-newbie (not even a newbie yet!)... found this a good read (.pdf file):

http://www.aventuratechnologies.com/newsletter/DOCS/Aventura_Newsletter_02_Analog_vs_IP_Cameras.pdf

After reading this I'm not currently considering IP cameras. Who knows what I'll read about tomorrow, though!

So, based on these two replies above, can I consider the article accurate for the time period in which it was written (2009)? Are there any other significant technological changes in the past 2 years?

So, based on these two replies above, can I consider the article accurate for the time period in which it was written (2009)? Are there any other significant technological changes in the past 2 years?

Megapixel, WDR, Analytics............... just better cameras and they keep getting better.