Go3Team

IR Cameras With Built In Illuminator Help

Hopefully someone here can help.

I just bought a couple of cheap IP Cams to view the goings on in my back yard.

They are both Foscam FI8905W cameras with built in illumination. I just received the 2nd one today, replaced the lens with a 4mm lens, and installed it. I took done the other, replaced the 6mm lens in that with another 4mm lens. Currently the only difference between the 2 is where the lenses came from. 1 came from Hong Kong the other from Singapore. Performance wise, the camera I got today has great illumination whereas the other one I have (which is about a month old) focuses the IR on a focused area. Here are some pics for reference:

Good illumination:

Go3Team65546-1.jpg

Focused illumination:

Go3Team37017-1.jpg

The top photo does have some vignetting which I still need to diagnose, and the bottom photo still needs to be fine tuned on the focus.

Looking at some IR Illuminators on Ebay - I have seen where they include a spec for angle like: Angle: 30 / 60 / 80.

I had both of these cameras apart today, and saw nothing that would be something for adjusting angle. Looking at the photos of the illuminators on Ebay also show nothing that stands out as adjusting. Is there something I'm missing? Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction before spending a few bucks on a external illuminator.

Thanks.

My opinion- spend the money on regular exterior lighting back there. Light alone is the best first line deterent. It will also help take the load off of cheaper IR cams in total darkness, which they're not all too good at. Win- win. You get light as a deterent and you clean your cameras night picture quality up nicely.

Dan

the 2nd one looks like it has issues, as if the cover is off or something.

You might be able to point the LEDs outward more. Sometimes they have a filter built into the glass on the cover.

btw this is "good" illumination

this isnt bad either for a 10 year old IR camera (30 degree beam)

Newer IR camera with 80 degree IR beam (5mm zoom)

and see the video of an IR bullet camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9w_KYky3BI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INoH7_a_FT0

but these might be better comparisons for your application:

no IR:

Then with...

TDNIRColorIR-1.jpg

oldex82dahua.thumb.png.4cbddfcfa6670aec3d3b5c51c8b8f25e.png

oldex82dahua3.thumb.png.c4278b0039d1136d6aa4da3f4fb47517.png

ex30eg2.png.01011d4c71e41fd7fd7325e7b7f67205.png

xts_colorirbulletnightreal.jpg.f2a0095eecda0c2364b46d0dffc46a80.jpg

I would try using something to diffuse the light from the LEDs some. Its a bit 'hackish', but if it works... Maybe try a ring of plastic shopping bag or something? Also, you can maybe bend the LEDs outward some.

right now if someone looks up in the middle of the shot, their face will be way too bright to see.

If I had to take just a guess first I would want to know if both cameras are brand new and purchased from the same place? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they aren't as of right now because one looks as if it's working with the IR's somewhat vs the lower one not functioning well at all. When the camera had the original lens in it did it still do the spotlight effect or was it a more spread out beam? Changing the lens shouldn't alter the IR spread unless you removed the sunshade/cover or if you possibly bent some of the IR's inward.

It looks like that because you replaced the lens with a 4mm which gives you a wider FOV.

The LED's on there before were designed to illuminate a 6mm lens not a 4mm that is why you are getting a flashlight effect on your cameras at night. With a 4mm with a 1/3" CCD will give you a viewing angle of 64 degrees. You will need to buy an illuminator with a 60 degree angle.

Vincent T.

If I had to take just a guess first I would want to know if both cameras are brand new and purchased from the same place? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they aren't as of right now because one looks as if it's working with the IR's somewhat vs the lower one not functioning well at all. When the camera had the original lens in it did it still do the spotlight effect or was it a more spread out beam? Changing the lens shouldn't alter the IR spread unless you removed the sunshade/cover or if you possibly bent some of the IR's inward.

With the original lens - on the camera with the focused IR, it filled the frame. Since I have a wider angle lens, it has a focused effect. The 2 cameras were bought from the same place just at different times. Same model, same everthing. The IR spread is the same as it was when I got it.

Here's a picture from the 2nd camera with a 6mm lens:

Go3Team39830-1.jpg

I read on another forum that people mentioned using wax paper to disperse the light more. I figured what the heck, and gave it a try. It helped a bit, but still had a highly focused area.

Also, you can maybe bend the LEDs outward some.

They are soldered in there pretty good, hardly budging at all.

Rory, that first pic on Cam 7 is delicious.

" title="Applause" />

thats cause its a 420TVL B/W camera

Thats a dual CCD camera, separate color and BW cameras inside one housing, the best option for day night applications, also has a fan and built in Infrared LEDs (in a separate part of the camera) that push 75-100' outdoors. Unfortunately they discontinued that camera, and also other versions of it over the years have had a high failure rate, that batch though definitely lasted, through multiple hurricanes also. The color camera on that is almost shot though, Chip burn out probably.