smartboy

Using Indoor Camera Outdoor!

I really like VIVOTEK's FD7131; this is indoor camera.

http://vivotek.com/products/model.php?network_camera=fd7131&tab=over

So my question to you experts is; what could go seriously wrong if I used it outdoor. It would be mounted underside of facia boards (dormer house) so it would be protected from getting wet.

Would condensation, freezing weather have detrimental impact on the camera.

I mean what are the major differences between indoor and outdoor camera.

Yes, there are differences between indoor and outdoor products, first of all in their overall design to withstand atmospheric conditions, covered under IP code. All the seams are usually well sealed with rubber gaskets, and dome protective cover is made of UV resistant polycarbonate (to resist the impact of sun UV radiation which is a killer for most plastic materials). Also, materials used in design are less prone to crackling caused by sudden temperature changes, frost or extreme direct sun heat. If you use indoor camera, you could expect your camera to fail due to short circuit caused by condensed water from humidity in air.

You could also have sensor burn from the sun depending on the sensor they use if you us an indoor only camera out doors. Bottom line use the right tool for the job. Use outdoor cameras outdoors and indoor cameras indoors.

The IP rated outdoor cameras will protect against weather but also against the moisture that you d0n't see.

Just being sheltered is not enough to protect against moisture or morning dew.

Moisture can destroy your electronics, and even before that you may see nothing when your camera fogs up

with condensation. Either get an outdoor housing or get another more suitable camera.

I haven't installed Vivotec so I presume they don't do an outdoor equivalent? Many makers do an optional outdoor

housing, always supposing the camera is up to the job. Usually the traditional analogue CCTV manufacturers offer

this sort of option. Netter to get a purpose made camera in an outdoor housing.

It's a reasonable thing to say use outdoor cameras for outdoors and indoor cameras for indoors.

Get a camera designed for the job and you won't be regretting it later.

Outdoor cameras can be useful indoors as they protect against dust awell as water, but generally get something designed for the job.

a couple people I know have indoor domes outside, they have lasted from last year, amazingly. They are under eaves though and far inland though. Ofcourse we dont get the really cold weather others do. Without being sealed one would expect the moisture to get inside and cause alot of issues including fogged up cover among the least of them.