A customer has 16 IP cameras (axis) and the recorder was stolen. His old one was mainly a server with milestone installed. What can someone suggest to do the most economical way. He has 2 IP PTZ and 14 domes with sound on some. He needs remote viewing. I hate going into a job, someone else installed. I just feel sorry for the guy.

Edited by Guest

Do you mean Milestone? If he is going all Axis you could use Axis's VMS but I would use Milestone again. Maybe if you have the MAC address of the computer that was stolen Milestone can void the licenses and give you a reactivated license on the new machine.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the advice. Where I got that milstream from, I have no idea. I quess I was thinjking of several things as I typed. I do have equipment at a mall with that name.

Just wondering - do you guys usually lock up your recorders, or at least lock the rooms they are in?

Seems to me the equipment should have been locked up better! Maybe watch out for other screw-ups from the previous guy?

Just wondering - do you guys usually lock up your recorders, or at least lock the rooms they are in?

Seems to me the equipment should have been locked up better! Maybe watch out for other screw-ups from the previous guy?

My stuff usually ends up in a server room or admin area. It's placement is specified by the customer with recommendations by us. Locking it up is up to them.

This recorder was locked up and they ran a truck thru a wall to get to it. For the poster that mentioned maybe the previous installer might have thoughts of future destruction,. Police believe and so do I, that is who stole the unit in the first place. The customer said it never worked correctly from the start. This could be a good customer in the future and I want to get him back in service the cheapest way I can, but make sure it works. His insurance company is trying to tell him IP systems don't cost as much as he claimed. The adjuster said he could get a recorder for around $395.00 on the internet. What a great qualified man he is.

Completely depends on the site (or type of site I should say...), but 90% of the time they go into an IT closet if one exists, and IT closets always have some type of access control or lock. On the rare occasion they get stuck in a managers office somewhere (this is on smaller sites like a coffee shop or gas station and this is the most likely place it'll be stolen).

This recorder was locked up and they ran a truck thru a wall to get to it. For the poster that mentioned maybe the previous installer might have thoughts of future destruction,. Police believe and so do I, that is who stole the unit in the first place. The customer said it never worked correctly from the start. This could be a good customer in the future and I want to get him back in service the cheapest way I can, but make sure it works. His insurance company is trying to tell him IP systems don't cost as much as he claimed. The adjuster said he could get a recorder for around $395.00 on the internet. What a great qualified man he is.

Ask the insurance adjuster what they spent on the DVR in their office.