HDguy

GE Storesafe Hard Drive Replacement

We have customers with over a thousand GE Storesafe DVR's which are having hard drive failures. We had good luck replacing drives till most IDE's were discontinued.

Does anyone know (not guess) what drives available today (Aug 2011) will work with the Storesafe units?

We've been working with GE StoreSafe pro and pro ii's with 500GB SATA HDDs and PATA IDE converters. The pro model seems to hold stable w/o NO HDD FOUND message that the pro ii's show after some power cycles. Both DVRs are using a 12VDC 6.6A PSU. Could it be the pro ii is not getting enough power/current? Both DVRs have latest firmwares available from the GE Support site (5.73, 6.32).

We need a total capacity of at least 500 GB. Sata converters have been very unreliable on these units. Machine will work for a few days, then on a restart will not be able to find the hard drive.

We've been working with GE StoreSafe pro and pro ii's with 500GB SATA HDDs and PATA IDE converters. The pro model seems to hold stable w/o NO HDD FOUND message that the pro ii's show after some power cycles. Both DVRs are using a 12VDC 6.6A PSU. Could it be the pro ii is not getting enough power/current? Both DVRs have latest firmwares available from the GE Support site (5.73, 6.32).

It is very possible that the power supply is not providing necessary power... I am not sure if your current rating is correct, but there are only two power supplies available for this unit - first one is 5.8A and the second one is 7.5A..

Chance are good that by replacing the power supply to 7.5A version could fix the problem.. the part number is PSU-7.5...

We need a total capacity of at least 500 GB. Sata converters have been very unreliable on these units. Machine will work for a few days, then on a restart will not be able to find the hard drive.

I have not used Sata converter for this unit in the past - rather used and still using regular ATA drives... Capacities vary based on need for total storage... These drives are still available in the market... here: http://computersupplyhouse.us/hard-drives

Also, dependent on how old your units are, it is also very crucial to change the external power supply to 7.5A version - We have seen too many fail over the years... the part number is - PSU-7.5

So far the older pro models are working w/o problems with a 12VDC 6.6A PSU and the pro ii's fail. We got our hands on a 12VDC 7.5A PSU and hooked it up to a pro ii and it detected and formatted a 500GB SATA + converter. After a few minutes, we power cycled the DVR and now it no longer detects the drive. Argh!

Thoughts anyone?

CCTV Suppliers, what are the makes and models of those hard drives you are using? I assume they are all PATA IDE hard drives.

CCTV Suppliers, what are the makes and models of those hard drives you are using? I assume they are all PATA IDE hard drives.

We always use PATA drives... mostly Western Digital... and later models from Seagate... Dependent on the firmware, we easily can take the storage 1TB or higher...

Thanks, so, you're telling me the latest firmware versions for the pro and pro ii's will support let's say... 500GB SATA/PATA IDE HDDs?

Thanks, so, you're telling me the latest firmware versions for the pro and pro ii's will support let's say... 500GB SATA/PATA IDE HDDs?

I never said you can use SATA HDDs...

You are correct. However, I do have a couple pro models (not ii) with 500GB and converters working in a stable fashion for the past 2 weeks. Version 5.73 and 5.67. No lockups, no missing HDD message after power cycling. No problems found whatsoever...

when you power up the unit with the new hard drive installed, will it automatically format or even ask you if it neeeds formatting?

when you power up the unit with the new hard drive installed, will it automatically format or even ask you if it neeeds formatting?

Yes.

Good day guys...

I recently got a request to service a GE DVMRe Pro with the infamous : No Hard Drive Detected...

I have combed these forums and found out that you have to format the first hard drive with a GE utility before installing it into the DVMRe Pro. Is this still the case and if so can someone provide a link to said utility???Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks...