vivid

Recomandations Camera facing Light at night

here is the scenario

I have an entrance gate to my home inwhich I have installed a Camera. The camera is mounted to the gate facing the entrace and also Facing a 8 foot Lamp post I have

I currently Have a 24v bullet camera with IR

During the day , picture is great. but once it gets dark and the lamp turns on I cant see anything happening around the light post as the picture is white and blown out in the area around the lamp

Now I realise that direct light and IR do not mix

My first thought is maybe a camera without IR? as i have heard there are some cameras out there that do just as good a job as cameras with IR?

can anyone verify this?

another thought it maybe some kind of UV lens filter?

I have also read a Dome camera will give better results then a bullet camera

Any help would be greatly appricated.

thanks

I have heard of people putting some sort of shield in the lamp just on the side where it shines out to the camera.

A WDR camera would handle this much better.

Dome vs Bullet doesn't really change anything.

I deal with this on one cam too. Honestly, the best thing to do is mount the camera somewhere else. Or reposition it a bit. You have to get the lamp light out of view enough to eliminate the glare, or compromise and settle for a little bit. I've seen really great cameras handle direct light in the shot super great, but there's still direct light in the shot. And at what cost. Surely there's an alternate place to mount it- I hope. Or maybe get a camera that doesn't have such a wide angle- a tighter zoomed shot.

This is what I deal with- a lamp post on the left and security lights on the right. This framing gets my cars just right and the lamp post just out of frame, but it's tough and a compromise. This camera has 10 high power IR's that stay off when the lamp post on the left is on. Good thing though- the short wall on the right is like putting your hand right in front of the camera and whites it out when IR's come on.

IR's off- when the security lights dim, notice the lamp post flare on the left

drivewaywithlightonlarge-1.jpg

IR's off- when the security lights are on full, the lamp post glare is gone-

drivewaywithlightofflarge-1.jpg

I'll probably move this camera. After our hurricane blows through, I'll probably have a LOT of stuff to move. But bottom line- avoid light in direct view at all costs. It's always a compromise that way. Better to move the camera. Good luck.

Dan

Honestly, the best thing to do is mount the camera somewhere else.

I agree, the problem with your current setup is not the IR. The IR that the camera is putting out is not your problem. Its just the position that your camera is in, it would do the same thing without IR as well.