NTDude

DVR Question

Hello All,

I would just like to say thanks for everyones input on this forum. I have been visiting for quite a while and have gained a lot of knowledge. now it is my turn to ask a question.

Has anyone used this DVR before and if so what are your opinions.

http://www.skywaysecurity.com/embedded_1600_series_embedded_dvr.cfm

I usually use PC based systems but in the past have had problems with a couple of installs. (Computer problems ie Microisoft) One of my clients use an older Kalatel DVMRe 16 and he (and I) like it. I am just looking for a couple of options for him.

Here are his major requirements:

1) Up to 16 cameras

2) Capability to manipulate a PTZ camera (future)

3) Remote viewing (Internet, remote monitor)

4) email notification, during closed hours

Thanks,

Not sure on those DVRs, buy yah cant beat the GE (kalatel) DVR, still one of the best stand alone embedded on the market, but it cost $$$.

I own the first one and not worth anywhere near $3,213.00. You would be disappointed. It is made by http://www.4nsys.com/

If you are going for a stand alone DVR, get one with the web server built in. Pain in the arse installing software every where you want to go and don't have your Lappy with you.

So yall know, with browser based server, you always have to install something anyway, in fact, some windows software is much quicker and easier to install, plus it is going to be much more powerful and stable than the browser based, and then there are no browser security issues (eg. SP2). I stopped work on my activeX's, since you can just download the 2mb quick install proggy from my web site

Right, it would have been nice if you could download the remote client from the web server, before it loads the ActiveX thing.

Your wrong rory, their are many DVRs that have a browser based utility that is pushed out from the DVR itself, meaning no software to install on your PC.

GE's DVRs are easy to operate but horrible in the reliability department. GE's DVR failure rate in 2004 topped all the large manufacturers at a whopping 8%. Dedicated Micros, who sells just as many in the US, if not more, was a little more then 4%.

if its PC based you can, just copy the software to the server's HTTP directory

maybe that can be something .... setting up a web site that uses DDNS servernames to direct to the web site with a string for each persons ID, then it auto downloads that users remote software, or simply displays a web page that has links for their software ..?? Basically mini versions of the software that can be used for many different DVRs, simple quick installs, no browser issues, just works.

Your wrong rory, their are many DVRs that have a browser based utility that is pushed out from the DVR itself, meaning no software to install on your PC.

GE's DVRs are easy to operate but horrible in the reliability department. GE's DVR failure rate in 2004 topped all the large manufacturers at a whopping 8%. Dedicated Micros, who sells just as many in the US, if not more, was a little more then 4%.

Yes, you mean Java Web Servers (?), and they are horrible. Quality doesnt match close to the activeX, and they are featureless.

Really, about the GE DVRs, never heard that one

They have to be some of the most reliable and stable DVRs, dont know where you got those figures. As for sales, well there are many distributors in the US that are pushing DMs but dont have a clue about CCTV or DVRs, they are just pushed on them by DM sales agents. Sales doesnt make a product good.

Every GE DVR (Kalatel) ive had has been running years without any intervention or manintenance, they just work. DM is not worth the money they sell it for, and does not come close to the GE DVRs. Ive used both.

Hmmm, I have always heard just the opposite. Interesting.....

I personally have not had a single problem or failure with any GE DVR's that I have installed.

Where did you get those numbers from? DM's website?

Not sure where you can get this information as no manufacturer will ever admit or deny nor will publish such information.... Unless someone is working for such manufacturer and is willing to "blow a whistle"...

In our case selling many of GE DVRs, we had less than 2% failure and mostly caused by mishandling of the product, including but not limited to customers "modifying" internal guts of the hardware and then complaining that it does not work right... Few of them were damaged due to shipping method or inadequate packaging materials... Few were damaged during the transit... But nothing like 8% claim... I have been in their local manufacturing facility and I can tell you first hand, the quality of the process is out of this world...

In case of DM, well I will tell you that their failure rate with us was over 50% and that caused us to drop them across the board... Their customer support and technical support was and I am sure still is as bad... probably competes with Panos customer and technical support...

Levon

No manufacturer is willing to disclose their failure rates to customers. The only way of obtaining an accurate "failure rate" is by reviewing the information from their warranty repair department. This also means that DVRs that were not sent in are not calculated. However, after GE's aquisition of Kalatel, many "things" have happened and this type of information became readily available. Thus, DM had no issue releasing their failure rate considering it became common knowledge that their largest competitor was more then double. When GE landed the large Starbucks deal, their failure rate even exceeded the 8% mark.

I agree that DM's customer service and support needs some work. They are heavily distribution based with the vast majority of their sales through ADI and the remainder through the larger distribution accounts such as NAV.

If you live in the US, i still dont see why anyone would buy a DM over a GE ... the GE has more features and 100% better remote software, a better RTOS, lower cost, and from my experience among the 2 of them, the GE is more solid and stable. The DMs came hand in hand with a couple asian DVRs which cost much less .. i mean they are all decent, but the DM is over priced for what it does. The GE is over priced also for the general market, but it does what it sais and has all the bells and whistles.

Drawback is speed and thats where the PC based DVRs come in.

Rory

I DID manage to crash a store safe, wehn I tested it, mind you I certainly tried pretty hard to do so, I happen to know that DM failure rates were very high when the ol "death star" or Desk Star drives were being used, in truth I have heard the GE stuff is pretty darn stable and have been told that by manyt hat sell them.

i think i was just unlucky that the one I got was ex demo and out of the reps car, I concur that most standalone faults are from misuse! or HDD failure..

Not floggin it but you dont need any download at all or software for the Bosch standalone, only need to enable Active X, mind you cant see how it works that way, but unless the computers I tried had it already, there is nothing to load.

I liek all three units, the GE is very very very easy to navigate once learnt, but a pain at first, it has some great features, but needs a good software polish.. not features, just prettying it up a little