Sign in to follow this  
johnmaclean

Problem/Question with Vivotek NR8201

I have 2 issues / questions with regard to a NR8201 I am installing.

1) It works great on the local network - I can access it using the IP address I assigned it. However, when using DDNS - I can connect to my network, but even with port 80 forwarded to the NVR, it doesn't respond. If I put a different device (say an IP camera), I can access that from outside my network. Is there another port that needs to be opened?

2) When I look at my history, a day of recording continous is chopped up into 5-7 minute segments - is this normal and/or necessary?

I have 2 issues / questions with regard to a NR8201 I am installing.

1) It works great on the local network - I can access it using the IP address I assigned it. However, when using DDNS - I can connect to my network, but even with port 80 forwarded to the NVR, it doesn't respond. If I put a different device (say an IP camera), I can access that from outside my network. Is there another port that needs to be opened?

2) When I look at my history, a day of recording continous is chopped up into 5-7 minute segments - is this normal and/or necessary?

1) I would check if the port on the actual device is correct and the same port number is being forwarded on the router.

2) Most of the DVR i seen they do break it up in small segmented clips, so I wouldn't worry to much about this problem if I was you.

Thanks for the reply - I won't worry about the clips.

I have confirmed the ports are correct - since I access it as port 80 on the local network...just can't figure why when forwarded it doesn't work. I have forwarded the router to other devices that use port 80 - and they work correctly....

Also, has anyone contacted Vivotek support before- - I sent a couple messages, but never got a reply....

since I access it as port 80 on the local network

hi John. you will find using another port other than 80 will solve your problem. set it to 83 and see what happends. you will also need to set the port you use in your router port forwarding to your NVR

just had a look at the setup manual ports you need are 1025 and 65535 and you use 80 for local only

since I access it as port 80 on the local network

hi John. you will find using another port other than 80 will solve your problem. set it to 83 and see what happends. you will also need to set the port you use in your router port forwarding to your NVR

just had a look at the setup manual ports you need are 1025 and 65535 and you use 80 for local only

Excellent - I'll give that a shot....

No luck with those ports - tried each individually, both open, with port 80 forwarded and without...still nothing.

I've never seen anything like it - I access it via port 80 internally, and the forwarding from Wan does work (since I can forward to other devices, including directly to a camera...)...but forwarding to this device just doesn't seem to comply...