Toaster

HDD RPM speed important on a DVR?

Here's the question, I'm currently using a 30fps @ D1 dvr, it came with a 1TB drive green drive. If I upgrade it to a 2tb drive, can I use one of those cheapies I see at the computer superstore's? Like a hitachi 5900rpm 2tb with 32mb cache? Or should it be a "green" drive?

The dvr is a large footprint drive, can hold 2 HDD's and a CDR/DVDR drive. NO CASE FANS. And its in my business and it gets HOT in the summer when the store is closed, and COLD in the winter when the store is closed. Would I benefit from fan cooling? and would a lower RPM hard drive be able to keep up with recording say all 8 ch's at 30fps d1?

Really depends on the specific DVR and its design. I'd say, check the manufacturer's recommendations for a list of "supported" drives.

The green drive is a slow drive, even the blue is faster.

Stay clear of the greens if you can help it, some DVRs like Geo have issues with them.

Otherwise all current SATA drives are typically much faster than drives we were using just a few years ago.

I actually had a problem with a green and used an old USB Sata drive which is much much slower and the problem went away so ... speed .. not SO important with some DVRs.

It shouldn't really make much more. BTW, if there are vents and a spot for a vent, I would go ahead and install one if you have one laying around...

I would stick to 7200RPM drives.

I wouldnt use anything BUT 7200rpm for modern DVRs.

That said, 5400rpm should work.

WD blues are the most common here so thats what Ive used in the past without issue.

For 2TBs though we are stuck with greens.

I did a speed test and the Greens were around 90 MB/s max speed with the blues at 135 MB/s, but then just a couple years ago the average SATA drive was only 55 MB/s anyway. My USB 5400rpm drive worked for a test with Geo, didnt leave it on for any time though, thats around 45 MB/s max speed. Granted thats the read speed and write can be less, and for video recording write is all that really matters. And oh yeah an IDE drive I had to put in an old DVR a year ago, that was a new WD IDE drive and it was only 30 MB/s. I just tested this 1 year old SATA drive in my P4 PC and its 82 MB/s - honestly not sure if its a 7200 or not but it was second hand.

Back in the day the Kalatel DVRs only worked with 5400rpm drives but thats mostly because of the age and also the power supply, then they had upgrades for the power supplies to fit 7200rpm drives.

So if you are really concerned about heat, then perhaps try a 5400rpm drive, but if there are issues then you need to address the hard drive first.

Right now, 1TB is giving me about 20 days of recording, all D1 30FPS across 5 cameras (well 4 since the 8/16 as one outside camera was stolen - that story's and video is in another thread - CLICK ME)

But 2tb drives at 5900, which are hitachi with 32mb buffers are on sale now for $70, so adding the second drive would yield 3tb of storage and if I'm calculating that right about 2 months of recording 24/7....

I need to get a 60mm fan for this case (I'm pretty sure thats the size its going to require) and make a little air flow...

When it comes to hd's for dvr's, I would recommend not getting a cheapie. At some point in time the hd could be the single most important piece in your system. U can get some 1.5 to 2tb hd's for under 100 bux online. Stick a fan on it like u said and u should be good. Dahua only recommends 7200 and if I remember u have a dahuaa correct?

Right now, 1TB is giving me about 20 days of recording, all D1 30FPS across 5 cameras (well 4 since the 8/16 as one outside camera was stolen - that story's and video is in another thread - CLICK ME)

But 2tb drives at 5900, which are hitachi with 32mb buffers are on sale now for $70, so adding the second drive would yield 3tb of storage and if I'm calculating that right about 2 months of recording 24/7....

I need to get a 60mm fan for this case (I'm pretty sure thats the size its going to require) and make a little air flow...

Newegg has their green drive (1tb) for $54 w/ free shipping with Promo Code: EMCYTZT715 Specs are for DVR's and it "cool" running

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=u1194913t3264378f9fp0dd0c0s701&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&Item=N82E16822136782&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na

Just be sure if you do use a lower speed than 7200 RPM or a green drive, check in your manual that it has been approved.

Always check the DVR manufacturer's "supported drives" list. Keep in mind that this is generally just a list of drives that have been tested and confirmed to have sufficient performance for the DVR; it doesn't mean other drives won't work, it just means other drives MAY not work well.

Dahua only recommends 7200 and if I remember u have a dahuaa correct?

No, its a TVT made DVR sold under Q-see brand.

I was incorrect about Dahua only recommend 7200 RPM. There are a few on their list that they recommend that are lower than that.

No, its a TVT

looking at the TVT spec. for most of there units they have a MAX of 2tb

also are you recording motion ?? D1 30fps x 5 = 1 month you would just about get that at CIF.

No, its a TVT

looking at the TVT spec. for most of there units they have a MAX of 2tb

also are you recording motion ?? D1 30fps x 5 = 1 month you would just about get that at CIF.

I'm recording 24/7, and have motion alerts set for "closed" hours only, though it continues to record 24/7

I'm recording 24/7, and have motion alerts set for "closed" hours only, though it continues to record 24/7

it will be 30fps @ CIF if youre getting that much storage from 1tb

Hi guys newbie here. Ive read a lot of post on this forum but i am still a little confused. I have a kalatel 16ct dvrme. The hard drive or drives have failed in it. Two 160gb maxtor. Since i have to replace them i want to goto two 500gb hard drives. What im confused about is what type of hard drive to use. Most post say go with the seagate ata, but does it matter if its a diamond max or barracuda. Or should i go with a western digital. Ive already ordered the new 7.5a power supply to upgrade my old 5a. My current software version on the unit is 4.11. Will this be a plug and play type operation. I know i will have to make sure i have the master and slave drive in the right place and configured as well. Im no computer genius but i can follow directions. Thanks for any help available

If your DVR came with a WD Green anything... you'll be safe using damn near anything. Hitachi will be a huge improvement. I've had nothing but problems with WD Green.

By the way... what are you doing buying crap on the internet and Fry's? I'm down the street from you.