emholic

Camera Placement Questions

Hello Everyone: I'm looking at a home to install, where the only option to mount the cameras would be the Eve's of the roof line. The Problem is that they are low, maybe 8 feet from the ground. Aside from using an armored dome, have you found any other alternatives to mounting cameras at such a low level?

An option to get it higher in the air is to do something like this...

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/productimage.php?product_id=2316

I didn't do much surfing around, but I think they sell them where you can put the hook end of a mount like this under the eve and wrap the mout around the facia board resulting in the camera mounting above roof height. If you can't find a bracket that has the ends put on opposite I'm sure you can buy something lik this and just swap the actual camera side of the mount with the wall mount side, I mean its basically just pipe in the middle. I would also make sure to use some sort of metalic conduit if you will have exposed wire at a reachable height.

@soundy: have there been any issues with people spray painting them or trying to rip them off? Also what type of screws do you use to mount the domes? How much weight do you think it could take.

@SS360: not a bad option, I think it may be an eyesore... I guess there's not much I can do...

PS: I hate doing home installs!!

I've found under the eaves to be fine with my home. My eaves are like 9' high, so someone with my height could spray them or try and whack them if they wanted, but it would be kinda hard.

My eaves have space inside, so I screwed wood 2x4's of correct length to the rafters, eventually ending up with a very secure piece flush with the inside of the eaves. Then the camera can be very securely screwed in!

I would recommend vandal-resistant domes. They look nicer on homes, don't stand out much, and can't be disabled as easily.

Don't you love climbing in attics?

What you really need to consider is if you have a cavity in that area, there are many recessed wedge housigns that are industrial quality that allow the camera to be recessed into the area,the idea of the wedge is that you can not easily grab, or throw a roope over the housing to tear it down.

a.thumb.jpg.e01696c89620e1f2f720aa622e8bca21.jpg

@soundy: have there been any issues with people spray painting them or trying to rip them off?

I've had several sites where regular box cams in environmental housings (Pelco EH-3512 and the like) have been stolen... seen a few attempts on domes, only one or two that ever succeeded. Had one dome that failed after someone wailed on it with what appeared to be a 16 oz. framing hammer - camera stopped working, but the Lexan bubble only sustained a few scratches. Also had one where it looked like they tried to blot the dome with a large Sharpie-type marker... but painted it on the opposite side of the bubble from where the lens was pointing...

Also what type of screws do you use to mount the domes? How much weight do you think it could take.

Wood screws, self-tapping metal screws, hollow-wall anchors, drywall anchors, concrete anchors, Tapcon screws... depends entirely on what it's mounting to, what's behind it to screw into, etc. Outside domes, I tend to silicone to the surface wherever possible, which adds a lot of extra support, as well as weather sealing.