jonohanson

CCTV resolution question.

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone as I am new here.

Now my question is, I have a cctv dvr (AVTECH) and its max resolution is D1, now I have seen some cameras that have a res of 795*596 or higher, as this resolution is higher than D1 would these cameras provide any better quality than a D1 resolution camera (image quality of camera aside)as my DVR will only record D1 res??

Many Thanks

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone as I am new here.

Now my question is, I have a cctv dvr (AVTECH) and its max resolution is D1, now I have seen some cameras that have a res of 795*596 or higher, as this resolution is higher than D1 would these cameras provide any better quality than a D1 resolution camera (image quality of camera aside)as my DVR will only record D1 res??

Many Thanks

Under "weakest link" theory, a higher-res, higher-TVL camera should provide a slightly better image than one that's below the DVR's maximum resolution... but once you're past that resolution, the difference would probably not be noticeable except MAYBE in very specific circumstances, if you were comparing the cameras side-by-side.

Hi folks. This is an analog camera? Because it is kind of a tricky/interesting question. You'd really want to know what the camera's resolution is in TV-lines (TVL) - how many black and white (white being the other "line" between the black lines) it can resolve.

A lot of cheapy cameras are being sold based on the resolution of the CCD imager (where the lens focuses the image). The 795*596 that jonohanson quotes refers to the number of pixels on the CCD, but the camera still has to convert this to an analog signal to send out throught the BNC connector. The resolution for analog video is measured in TV-lines. If the camera maker has cut some corners with the A to D converter, or the optical parts like the IR filter, there can be a noticeable difference in quality between cameras with the same CCD sizes.

Anyone else's thoughts?

That would be the Total Pixel number from a high res 480-650TVL camera, in PAL.

Effective pixels would be 752x482.

This is the normal effective pixels in a 480-650TVL PAL camera.

This is higher than D1 so you will still only get D1 resolution at the DVR.

Since a low res 380-420TVL camera could be 500x582 effective pixels in PAL, then yes your 480-650TVL will be higher quality.

Thanks for the replys.

This is the system I have http://www.maplin.co.uk/500gb-4-ch-h.264-network-dvr-with-2-x-ccd-cameras--advanced-mobile-access-517239 the cameras with it are quite good for budget cameras (a lot better than the cheapo ebay 1/3" bullet cam they replaced).

However as these cameras are only 420tvl, if I went with something with higher TVL's would this provide a better image??

I have been looking at the Sony Effio 700TVL camera, would this improve my image quality??

Many Thanks

The DVR will only record 704x576 (TV PAL) 704x480 (TV NTSC) or around what? 520 TVL. I am still unclear if the live view on the DVR will be at whatever TVL the camera is capable of. If you're live viewing, monitoring constantly these cameras, the higher TVL would be advantageous but only if you're connected to a high resolution monitor directly. I always think of it like a bottle neck or a choke, or like in nascar a restrictor plate. Whatever the lowest resolution on a system is would generally be as high as you should go with all parts of the system. Why push 700 TVL if your DVR will only record 520 lines of it?

this is an old 380TVL color bullet over the network - so compressed even more than locally on the DVR.

Left is in CIF, Right is in D1 - streaming.

With a low res camera such as this one can even see the difference between it being in CIF or D1. With a high res camera there will be even more of a difference. (will try to get a shot of a high res).

Image3.png.b77ccf25091126bee18259633130c5ad.png

The system mainly runs headless and is viewed remotley so live viewing isn't a priority. So with this camera(the Effio) being higher TVL and a better quality camera all round would it produce better results on my system over the 420tvl budget cams??

Cheers

Absolutely. Be sure to set each channel at the highest resolution possible, and at the highest bit rate you can per channel. You will absolutley see a big difference in remote viewing as well. Resolution and bit rates are the big ones for immediate improvement. I upgraded from 400tvls' to 520's, a 560, and a 600. All I know is that my picture per channel improved greatly because of better quality cameras. I almost exclusively view remotley.

For new Effio cameras with 650-700TVL it is really important to use 1.2-1.5 megapixel lenses.

We made some face-to-face comparisons - even by 4CIF resolution (PAL: 704x576) it is a noticeable difference (more sharp) to "normal" PAL cameras (right picture, both - forced to b/w mode):

But it seems, that new DVRs with native 960H support (PAL: 960x576, NTSC: 960x480) will be announced during next months:

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/effiowld/system/index.html

Regards,

Alexander

For new Effio cameras with 650-700TVL it is really important to use 1.2-1.5 megapixel lenses.

We made some face-to-face comparisons - even by 4CIF resolution (PAL: 704x576) it is a noticeable difference (more sharp) to "normal" PAL cameras (right picture, both - forced to b/w mode):

Is that because of the lens's "higher resolution" though, or some other factor, like better construction, better QC, better coatings, overall better design...? High-quality "SD" lens > cheaply-made "MP" lens, in other words.