austinsevo

quality of dome security cameras

Hello,

Ive been having some pretty bad luck with some day/night dome security cameras. Ive gone though 3 of them with various issues of video cutting out/flickering only in night mode/day mode not displaying a picture. And these cameras were all less than a year old. I bought 2 of them from a company called VideoSecu and the other has no brand name.

Maybe im buying cheap knock offs? They cost me between $40-$70 for 420TVL-600TVL.

Is there a better company with low defect rates? And has a really good warrenty on their products (more than 1 year?)

thanks,

Austin

Maybe im buying cheap knock offs? They cost me between $40-$70 for 420TVL-600TVL.

I think you've answered your own question.

I'll let others with more experience provide advice regarding better quality brands. Personally, I like the specs on the Samsungs.

I always wondered why many important buildings use Panasonic. I wasnt sure if they were just wasting money on a big brand or if the cameras were actually so much better as you claim.

Do you have any pictures from the Panasonic analog cameras?

You can't beat the Panasonics for picture quality and general ruggedness.

I always wondered why many important buildings use Panasonic. I wasnt sure if they were just wasting money on a big brand or if the cameras were actually so much better as you claim.

Do you have any pictures from the Panasonic analog cameras?

You can't beat the Panasonics for picture quality and general ruggedness.

I don't have any screen captures handy, but I can say that my CP-484 is probably the best camera I have. It handles back lighting very well and its low light abilities are very good. I do wonder if some of the less expensive brands have caught up - I have a CNB Mona Lisa dome that I tested and,if I remember correctly, it was pretty impressive for a lot less money.

We installed 80 analog pano domes 3 years ago and have not had to replace a single one. Put a knock off next to a name brand looking at the same image over a 24 hour period and see what the difference is. Is a 50 dollar camera really cheaper than a 150-200 dollar camera? Maybe if you don't care what the image is or how often you may need to change camera or having a place to return/ service the equipment.

I don't have any screen captures handy, but I can say that my CP-484 is probably the best camera I have. It handles back lighting very well and its low light abilities are very good. I do wonder if some of the less expensive brands have caught up - I have a CNB Mona Lisa dome that I tested and,if I remember correctly, it was pretty impressive for a lot less money.

Personally, I'd say the CNBs (at least the Mona Lisas) are better that the SDIIIs *in some circumstances*, particularly in very low light. The regular image is easily on par, for about 1/3 the price. Where the Panny still shines though, is with severe backlighting - I have yet to see anything that really compares to the Super Dynamic function (although the CNB "SBLC" setting does an admirable job).

Image quality aside, the Pannys still have a really annoying gimbal design and can be a PITA to aim and adjust. CNB's is still one of the most installer-friendly designs I've ever worked with.

I had a 484 and a BBM24F in the same spot for a while. Much better low light (and IR sensitivity) on the CNB. I would say by at least a factor of 2x if not more.

484 is great with backlighting, much better colors (especially blacks and reds) and nicer overall picture. Plus you get the auto back focus when it switches over. The 484 feels like a more solid camera.

Okay ive looked around and it appears the CNB Monalisa cameras are right for me. But i notice they have quite a few models. Im looking to get the flush mount model without a back box so it mounts flush to the soffit of my house. It looks like i want the VCM or the VBM 24VF. I was reading the 20 series does not have the upgraded Monalisa SuperHad chip. But i did notice they do not have built in infrared LEDs. Does that mean i need emitters for the camera to see it total darkness? Also i wanted to make sure these cameras can stand up to 100F summers and 15F winters. It appears on their tech sheets they will but i figure id check with you guys. I see they makes a heater model but i do not think my area gets cold enough to need one. We also get alot of rain and i wanted to make sure they dont have issues with heavy sideways rain. Also the power connector looks different to what im used to. I my cables i ran are those BNC with power where the power adapter hooks up where the BNC cable goes into the DVR. Do they come with a power adapter?

thanks again for all the help, i got an email back from VideoSecu and they said the heat outside fried my chipset and since it only has a 30 warranty they wont honor a free repair on it.. Im looking forward to that 3 year warranty on these CNBs.

Personally, I like the specs on the Samsungs.

The specs are fine and the performance is fine too, but installation can be a royal pain. Also, I had to use a Dremel grinder to get full azimuth rotation.

Best,

Christopher

Okay ive looked around and it appears the CNB Monalisa cameras are right for me. But i notice they have quite a few models. Im looking to get the flush mount model without a back box so it mounts flush to the soffit of my house. It looks like i want the VCM or the VBM 24VF. I was reading the 20 series does not have the upgraded Monalisa SuperHad chip. But i did notice they do not have built in infrared LEDs. Does that mean i need emitters for the camera to see it total darkness? Also i wanted to make sure these cameras can stand up to 100F summers and 15F winters. It appears on their tech sheets they will but i figure id check with you guys. I see they makes a heater model but i do not think my area gets cold enough to need one. We also get alot of rain and i wanted to make sure they dont have issues with heavy sideways rain. Also the power connector looks different to what im used to. I my cables i ran are those BNC with power where the power adapter hooks up where the BNC cable goes into the DVR. Do they come with a power adapter?

thanks again for all the help, i got an email back from VideoSecu and they said the heat outside fried my chipset and since it only has a 30 warranty they wont honor a free repair on it.. Im looking forward to that 3 year warranty on these CNBs.

Personally I would look to get a different dome. IMO they are horrible in low light situations.

ScreenHunter_002-1.jpg

ScreenHunter_005-1.jpg

If you have enough light they are ok, but if you do not they WILL NOT switch to BW mode, hence the first pic. The second pic is decent, but I had to manually switch it to BW and that means no color during the day. Kind of defeats the point of buying a color camera

I would, but from what I have seen Rory post and a couple of other pics, it seems to be the norm. If you supplement the light they are OK, but IMO they are not as good as everyone has made them out to be. The price on them is fairly cheap, especially if you buy them at cost. What do you expect for a $130.00 or so cam???? I guess I was just hoping for something better. You get what you pay for!!! I am thinking of contacting CNB and send them the screen shots, and ask them what the deal is with the cam not switching to BW mode in low light situations. I mean what good is it if it has to be totally dark before it will switch? You can not see color or BW in that situation. I wonder if they could send me a new firmware to flash it with and change the sensitivity?

I get very good results from 60 dollar cameras, so for 130 bucks I would expect something very good. Have you tried good IR light with it? Maybe that would work better with that camera instead of depending on ambient exterior lighting, or almost no light at all. Perhaps the camera would behave properly with IR.

Dan

No, I don't have an IR illuminator available at this time. I am thinking of going with something similar to the Mintron camera. Why use a camera that has to switch to black and white, if you can get a superior picture in color at the same light levels?

Personally I would look to get a different dome. IMO they are horrible in low light situations.

ScreenHunter_002-1.jpg

ScreenHunter_005-1.jpg

If you have enough light they are ok, but if you do not they WILL NOT switch to BW mode, hence the first pic. The second pic is decent, but I had to manually switch it to BW and that means no color during the day. Kind of defeats the point of buying a color camera

wow that first picture does look poor for a night shot, i would need a wide angle IR illustrator but they all seem to have a narrow beam on them. Is there any alternatives besides the Panasonic?, which looks like the size of a fishbowl for the dome.

ScreenHunter_002-1.jpg

ScreenHunter_005-1.jpg

These pictures are FAR from representative of our experience with them. I think I've only had one that ever refused to switch modes properly, and as was discussed in another thread, the "noise" in the first picture looks more like a problem with the video codec processing B&W video as if it were color (something I've seen with a number of different DVRs).

It appears like it may be stuck in color mode. Could be a setting or could be a bad copy of the camera. Another thing to consider is the video encoder. I attached 8 dirt cheap Q See cameras to two Avigilon video encoders, and the images are pretty remarkable for $20 cameras. They look considerably better than when attached to the Q See DVR.

Best,

Christopher

These pictures are FAR from representative of our experience with them. I think I've only had one that ever refused to switch modes properly, and as was discussed in another thread, the "noise" in the first picture looks more like a problem with the video codec processing B&W video as if it were color (something I've seen with a number of different DVRs).

EXACTLY what I am thinking. The ones I've installed (6) just don't do this... Even at the minute just before switching, the color image is fine. There is no color "fuzzies" in recordings.

I think your cameras may be partially defunct...?

I would have to agree with Birdman. I am a new DIYer to the game and just installed all CNB camera’s. 6 VCM-24VF out side and 6 DMB-24 inside. I have not had any problems at all. When I got the system running I didn’t even have to focus the cameras, but I did just to make the picture a little better.

I was going to put up flood lights for the night time, but we just got some new low voltage lights and they put out enough light at night to make the cameras see the whole front yard all the way to the street which is about 50-60ft from the house. After seeing that we just added 5 more. The lights have 11w bulbs and are spaced about 4ft apart. There are a total of 10 across the front of the house. After seeing the differences I am going to put up some in the back yard and also add some low voltage spot lights way out.

If I had to say anything bad about the CNB cameras, right now I can’t find anything as of yet. So far they have been flawless, even after Hurricane Irene.

The ones I've installed (6) just don't do this... Even at the minute just before switching, the color image is fine. There is no color "fuzzies" in recordings.

i also have many out (alot) and not seen this. even when the camera switches slow it never gets that bad.

HTElectrical,which camera is the CMB the top or bottom as these pictures are using two types of lens.

ScreenHunter_002-1.jpg

ScreenHunter_005-1.jpg