LSA

Cat 5 in place of BNC/ Coax

I have heard Cat 5 mentioned for use with cameras and I assumed it was in reference to Cat5 specific cameras, however, I saw a system today that apeared to have standard cameras with BNC connections however, all of the cables looked like Cat 5. Is there a way to use cat 5 cables in place of Coax. I assume this would serve the purpose of both a video feed and a power connection provided there were enouph pairs. If this is possible how do you connect cat 5 to a bnc adaptor and what is the cost difference involved, i.e is the cost for cat 5 and adaptors so excessive it outways the conventional method. I know the hassle factor would be great... Running wire from a box is a lot easier than a wooded spool. Any help you can provide would be great.

Thanks

What you probably saw were Baluns, they are simply adaptors for BNC to UTP. Some can work okay, while many are simply garbage and give barely a near decent image.

Always use RG59 where you can, best video picture, less issues, and cost is just as effective. But even RG59 is restricted in some applications.

The best benefit of using professional grade UTP/Cat5 Devices is when you have multiple buildings, and want to possibly upgrade them in the future with more cameras. You can run Multi pair UTP and connect them to blocks. Using Active UTP/Cat5 Hubs you can get amplified and equalized video signals at distances up to 1.5 miles, more if repeated. These types of devices cost alot and are not normally cost beneficial to the average user, but for larger jobs with long distances, it is worth it sometimes.

Another benefit is using existing networking cable where you cannot run RG59.

As for price, with decent baluns running around $20 a piece, thats $40 for 1 camera, times that by 16 cameras, $640, plus the cat5 1000+ feet. If you price that against a roll of RG59 Siamese cable at say $250, $20 for BNC connectors for 16 cameras, then the balun way is far too expensive for the average client.

I agree it is alot easier to run Cat5 than a roll of Siamese cable, but so is just running the cable across the floor from room to room, and wait, why bother with cat5, telco wire is even easier, and just have to splice the ends with some tape

Rory

Another question on coax spools, I'm getting tired of using the old fasioned way of a peice of conduit some tape and a four foot ladder, are there any tripod/ triangle stands out there that if I had a large enough system with cameras everywhere, I would unravel all spools and climb into the attic once?

Thanks

use cotton rope tied to rafters ect. to keep the cable clear things of while pulling....... pulling several at one time is done with several reels and/or guestimate the cable and lay them out. guestimating produces waste but sometimes i don't care about a few dollars of cable if i can reduce the trips ^

consider UTP and 4 channel balun's. 1 CAT5 able can carry 4 video signals, ect. UTP comes in 1000ft boxes that feed the cable as pulled out. no reel needed.

depending on your "style" of installing, price out both cable and UTP in your installs and see if you want to spend and save work? My numbers told me that I can "afford" to toss out $100 worth of cable compared to adding hundreds in UTP/balun's. AND, sometimes I get lucky and hire a part time to do my attic work................for 100 a day. either way it's affordable.