vincenttor

My home made PTZ camera

Just wanted to share some images from my home made ptz camera

Foto8RLNJMOI-1.jpg

FotoYNU6OBG6-1.jpg

the Lens weights about 5-7 Kg and came from a security camera that was used at the highway.

my dad got 2 of them, funny story.

the guy where he got them from didnt knew what to do with them and was smashing them in pieces with a big hammer on the ground

he saved 2 of them just in time " title="Applause" />

The camera thats used is the Samsung Utp2000 with 0.0001 lux black and with and 0.003 or something in color

SecurityCamera_ColorDayNight_SUB2000JPG-1.jpg

Well it all started with a velleman k8000 card that you can use to control stuff, actually everything you like by the computer.

i have looked at the Rs485 cards that are usable with the DVR software tools but the problem is that it uses voltage difference for lens control

iris/zoom/focus and this lens does not use voltage difference but it uses a polarity switch.

it does run on 5 Volt now because on 12V is all went to fast the focus/zoom/iris option especially when you use it remote by the internet with a delay.

Foto7SJVLHFY-1.jpg

so this took a while to make there are i think for all the options 32 relays on the board now haha, its one big clicking party if someone controls the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljQeeVbEB3Q

just finished and testing

Foto3TATABEL-1.jpg

The Pan Tilt arm is from some other system what we got from some place, don't remember were and this works on 220V also pretty easy to connect.

it's a heavy duty arm as you can see.

FotoNP88IITK-1.jpg

This is the camera housing i made, it is made from Poly ethyleen plastic.

i use this daily for making tanks/pools etc.

also put silver reflecting tape on the outside because of the heat of the sun.

FotoD3CCDJ78-1.jpg

and here we are testing

FotoJALRX7DQ-1.jpg

FotoIH4QCAJA-1.jpg

also lasercutted a front cover from acrylic glass for rain protection and mounted a cooling fan on the back.

FotoZDRFNGIO-1.jpg

mounted in a tower on 9 meter high

Then i made a housing for the mini atx board and the card.

Made it from pieces of Polyethyleen plastic that i had left from a pool i made once (plastic welding)

FotoP8ANYT7U-1.jpg

FotoB3OLFD3T-1.jpg

This all is controllable by a gsm remote switch,

calling starts the computer

sms you can switch 7 relays and everything is controllable even turn off and on from the modem incase there is a problem.

I forgot to make a movie from the quality and the sight there but will try to make this tomorrow.

its not real good to do on a big distance because the itnernet connection in france isnt the best 60 kb/s upload max so when i use

remote desktop and busy with video its hard to control.

will upload some screenshots later on

Whats the point , there are cams like this for sale for a few 100 dollars with the same/higher quality you ask yourself ?

Well i had most of the stuff laying arround and its fun to make something yourself

atleast thats what i think

hope i inspired some people to make there own stuff or show there creations

Vincent

Thx,

wanted to make a video locally there on the computer but for some reason it doesnt work and the quality is low

now i used a screencapture tool and did it remote

i also planned to buy a little whiper from a car headlight (mercedes)

because the lens for the big ptz is a bit dirty and i noticed some insects going over the lens haha

it need some improvements and i need to get the HTTP controls working but thats just buying the httpserver software from profilab.

also contacted the coder/designer from webcamxp if it maybe is possible to add RS485 controls in there camera ptz program

it only supports now ptz from ip cameras but none like pelco d p samsung etc

he would take a look into it otherwise i always have to control the camera like this.

in fact wile writing this he is buys on the system

Here the movie i made, you can click on the times i added to go to them

and don't forget to put it on 720P - fullscreen

gives a better image

Awesome! One sure way of keeping costs down, building it with stuff you have laying around the shop. Thanks for sharing. What's the distance on the house on top of the mountain? Might want to check into any privacy laws affecting the use of your camera.

Thats some workshop space you have there, come to think about it, thats some lattice tower you have there too.

Very satisfying I imagine to create something useful from a load of rubbish?

Yes its nice to make something yourself and especially when it works.

making the controller did take some braincracking, there are 32 relays on the card or more can;t even remember haha

'the tower is getting a little upgrade next year.

Bought a 24 (75 feet?)meter high tower, the one i got now is 10 meter high ( 30 feet ?)

GroteFotoYTOPIM43-1.jpg

it is still in the netherlands so i have to move it to france , about 1100 km away from my house.

this is how we picked it up, car of a friend of mine almost could not do it, the engine temp was to hot after 30 min driving hehe

FotoAMXE3YAE-1.jpg

OMG! Surprised the permit police did not stop you. That thing is Huge! Installing it deserves it's own thread. Definitely make sure you ground it. Lighting will like it more than you. Any idea on the weight?

haha, well yes about the grouding.

i have thought of several ways to do it.

contacted ham operators how they done it and there solution.

but many operators said i take the risk, when you ground it the lighting wants to hit it even more.

shortest road to the ground they told me.

the weight, well it isnt that heavy.

i lifted with a friend of mine all the parts on the trailer.

i gues its 100kg for the bottom part then part 2 90 kg or something

the last 2 are light, 70 kg - 50 kg

Remember from my college days taking a course in meteorology where the prof was talking about the damage from lightning. He point out the electrical potential that was develop as the storm approached, and that everything started building a charge at their highest point. That a lot of damage happens without direct strikes. Question he asked was "What do you think happens when the potential is removed by the lightning?" That's when most of the damage occurs when this build up of electrons is release in a nanosecond back into the ground.

Ask your ham operators what do they think of isolating the tower from the ground thru some commercial/ heavy duty rubber pads. Personally I would then install lightning rods (two) diagonally on the top and use the proper size insulated (not bare) grounding wire into separate ground rods that are connected/bonded at ground level. This way you give the lightning a path while leaving your electronics with some protection. I am Not an Engineer!

If we wanted to install a tower like that here in Manchester, we'd have mountains of RED - TAPE to climb before we could get permission from local government. Just don't lean on the thing during a storm.

How do you make sure such a structure is plumb?

@ red.

There is much lightning there in france and it crossed my mind a few times.

there is another thing hehe.

its not only the high tower but also a big antenna.

GroteFotoWRKOJF3Z-1.jpg

the boom/horizontal is 13 meter long.

that also does not help, but i am designin a lift system to drop it up/down.

liftbuis-1.jpg

its best that i do let me inform by some company's that make stuff like that to protect against lightning.

the thing i am more scared of is that when it hits the next 4 or maybe 10 houses all there equipment is broken because of the hit.

that it goes into the electrical system in the power lines

@ numbnuts.

well about that.

haha i have no idea what they will say.

atleast i do not have any neighbours and its pretty hidden.

they havent complained about this tower and antenna yet so its waiting till they do i gues.

if i put up something like that in the netherlands within less then a week i have to get it down for sure.

got a bit smaller tower here and is also going to hold a camera like the one above.

Foto3K4DNPTJ-1.jpg

but i can lower it to 7 meters and its almost hidden

Wow! If anything looked like it would attract lightning that's it! Don't know if it's possible but can you install a lightning rod in a higher tree? Hopefully that will provide an easier path to ground than your tower.

Around here the cell towers are being design like trees. Up close you can tell but 1/2 mile a way it's not such an eyesore.

thats a great idea indeed red thx

and with the lightning rod on a higher place is even better.

There are some changes made in the tower,

have a telescope ? tower

i can use a winch to get the tower up to 26 Meters now and when it is down it is just +/- 7 meters

all remote controlled so when i drop it down you can barely notice the tower

amazing!

you remind me of me. when i get my camera charger working i'll post some of my stuff

old electronics are amazing to collect... horder... naah. just sensible

one day, when i have my house in the countryside... maybe i will make something like this. use a telescopic lens or something

32 relays on the board now haha, its one big clicking party if someone controls the camera.

HA!

I have a $400 PTZ on my house that's 100x better, but I can still dig it.

32 relays on the board now haha, its one big clicking party if someone controls the camera.

what do you need 32 relays for!?

HA!

were is the fun of buying ?

well i like to make stuff and if it works this good its just more fun

also cheap because the lens was for free the ptz also and the velleman card i bought for little money.

what type of ptz is that cam then , ip version ?

HA!

Were is the fun of buying ?

well i like to make stuff and if it works this good its just more fun

also cheap because the lens was for free the ptz also and the velleman card i bought for little money.

what type of ptz is that cam then , ip version ?

I think he's missed the point, and I don't think there is much point in trying to explain it either, no offense meant.

I once built a router table for my woodworking, it cost me around £220 to build. My father asked me how much are they to buy, I couldn't help laughing as I told him "oh about £180" but the point was I had a lot of fun building it myself I had the pride of knowing I built it myself.

Point is anyone can go and buy one, but I built my own. the cost was not the point.

I think he's missed the point, and I don't think there is much point in trying to explain it either, no offense meant.

I once built a router table for my woodworking, it cost me around £220 to build. My father asked me how much are they to buy, I couldn't help laughing as I told him "oh about £180" but the point was I had a lot of fun building it myself I had the pride of knowing I built it myself.

Point is anyone can go and buy one, but I built my own. the cost was not the point.

i agree, although i usually do electronic stuff so reuse stuff. in these instances it costs alot less than it would to buy.