LSA

4 Channel DVR too loud and need remote access to another tv

I have an existing client who we installed a 4 channel dvr with an 80 gb hard drive in his home, I just recently found out that they have had to unplug the dvr because it is "too loud." I believe what he is hearing is the fan cooling the hard drive which it needs to do if it's allways recording. Has anyone had a problem with this? I did once before with the same dvr in a home and I moved it to a closet 2 feet away, I don't have that luxuary here, this was a prewire and it is close to impossible to relocate the dvr. Any suggestions would help.

Also we hooked up as a second monitor with a simple prefab siamese bnc to his tv in his house, he would now like to be able to control the dvr from that location as well, how is this done, if possible. (other than re running all four cameras to the house tv).

Thanks

what DVR is it?

Control will depend on what DVR it is, i take it is a stand alone embedded DVR as its in this section ..?

As for noise, fans will do that, shouldnt be too loud though, no more than a PC fan at least. Everyone down here runs AC or Fans anyway so we are used to that. Make sure the fan is not dusty or hitting something. If it crops out you could loose the DVR.

I haven't had this problem in my commercial applications, but I notice it in residences, and it makes sense normaly it isn't that big of a deal, but if the rest of your house is entirly quiet and one item keeps humming it can start to bug you. I thought about a lock box but reilized that would have a fan as well to keep it from getting too hot. Not sure how to solve this. any idea on accessing from the other tv (this dvr if I remember correctly was manufactured by serious cctv/ aventar tech)

Never had any problems with noise in residences myself, but could just be a noisy fan.

As for controlling it ... not sure the DVR, but if it is embedded stand alone (non PC), then it would either have to come with an IR Remote or Keypad, which can be extended, and if not, next best thing would be a channel vision 4 input Modulator that means they can watch each camera on their TVs anywhere in the home. You would just say program channels 71, 72, 73, 74 and the client can just use their remote to view each cam individually, if you add a second single input Modulator and then put the quad view into that and say set it on channel 70. Channel numbers here are just an example.

Note the quality of the video is not that great on Plasmas or LCDs even the HDTV versions, but it works and you can see it on any TV once you tag the COAX where cable TV comes in before it splits out to the other TVs. Just dont let them expect CCTV quality on the TV, cause it will never happen, not yet at least.

If they use something like a pronto you can set up a custom CCTV macro which makes it easier for them, or any other programmable remote control.

Rory

fan noise.............can be reduced with a lock box as long as you get a box that has good airflow.

the dvr fan noise? you get that from the fan hole, small holes, which can cause the fan to be noisey.no kidding, the air flowing thru those holes restricts the flow and causes resistance that produces the noise.

take out the fan and run it,,,,you'll will hear nothing while it is running in your hand, but, mount it back in and it's noisy. only thing that changes is the mounting.......

you can increase the hole sizes by drilling them out....takes some time but it will change the volume. changing the fan out does not work.

good airflow allows for a fan to push/pull air and all fans have resistance ala natural but when the space is "air tight", or the path is restricted in anyway the push/pull resistance is increased which also increases noise of...........

If it's the fan, you can always replace it (under 20 bucks) for a quiet one. Mine has 3 and I had replaced them. Sure it's the fan? Some Maxtors whine and are pretty loud.

You can also use a fanless power supply if it is a PC based model. Using the design of an HTPC Media Center, and it will be near completely silent.