FishinMortician

Where to hide the DVR ????

I have just started my research into obtaining my first system. Newbie here, and my budget is less than $ 1,000.

Mostly afraid that a thief will visit me during the day whilst at work. For unwanted visitors entering at night.....I have a wonderful program already in place that will deal with that.

My house has a few neighbors that can see it, but for the most part it is secluded. There are 4x4 trails through the woods that could be used to access the back of the house without anyone seeing anything. The house is 60 feet long and has covered porches with hand rails that run the entire length both in the front and in the back. Staircases at each end of each porch. The sides of the house have windows too tall to climb thru.

Four cameras will probably cover all my needs, and I hope they never get needed. But a camera pointed at each staircase would capture the image of my visitor before he realized that a camera even existed. Not planning on hiding the cameras, because I want them to be seen, just not seen from a distance where they would know to prepare by shielding their faces. Catch them ala naturale. The local sheriff will probably know them by name.

There is a lot to digest here on this site- thanks. But there was one issue I didn't find addressed. If they see the cameras.....and realize they are being recorded......wouldn't they at that point break in anyways, just so that they could secure the dvr, and thus abscond with all my evidence ?

Where does one hide such a thing ?

How are you supposed to hook it to the computer if it is hidden ?

....and if you would like to recommend a system to me, please do so. After all, I am brand new and all ears at this point.

Well, I've had people turn and leave when they realized there were cameras looking at them. There isn’t much the police can do at that point, but my system did what I really wanted – prevented a crime. I operate under the theory that the probable residential threat is from an unsophisticated smash and grab idiot. If they know I have cameras and break in anyway, I expect they will either a. cover their faces or b. focus on what they can grab in 5 minutes with the alarm system going off. Either way, I’m betting that the camera system will be low on their list of things to grab.

Of course, if you do not have an alarm system, then they have unlimited time and will find and take the camera system. You could slow them down with a lock box or small fire safe (bolted down of course)

My system is in an uninteresting closet because it was a good place to run the wires to.

Another good reason to use IP video over Analog cameras. If you use IP, you don't have a bunch of big fat coax cables all going to a central box that screams DVR. With IP, you can terminate to a small switch some where, much easier to hide. Then you can run a CAT 5 or 6 to your router, and then any computer in the house... or one burried in a corner of the basement, can be the server.

Another good reason to use IP video over Analog cameras. If you use IP, you don't have a bunch of big fat coax cables all going to a central box that screams DVR. With IP

you can hide analog just as well as a ip system. be it coax or cat5 .

my budget is less than $ 1,000.

your budget is a little low so buy and install cameras as and when your budget allows. your budget at the moment may get you a good dvr and a few cameras. but once you have the heart of your system installed (your dvr) the rest you can do over time.

a good little DVR is the Dahua and fits in with your budget.

and just buy a reel of cat5 and run cable to every location you are looking to install cameras

Hide it in a lock box. Connect the lock box to an alarm system tamper switch / vibration contact to protect it.

lockbox-1.jpg

For me, it's fun to THINK like a criminal. Let's be honest, we've all thought "If I'd rob a bank, this is the way I'd do it..."

Most criminals are idiots. And most of the crimes are happen are smash-and-grab, crackhead type petty thefts that these cameras would protect against.

But my thoughts are, what if a SMART criminal were to do this... what would i do in this case?

The lock box idea given by the user above is a good idea, but if I were to see a lock box with a DVR inside... EVEN WITH a tamper switch, I'd simply pour water down the ventilation holes till I heard some crackles and a pop.... and I would continue with my crime spree....

My idea is to create some sort of box-inside-a-box system where if someone were to pour water down, it would flow AROUND the dvr and go through a side channel and come out the other side, leaving the DVR unharmed.

Also, They sell SUPER CHEAP water detection systems (for basements and water heaters), that run on 9V batteries that pretty much last forever... if you stick one of them inside the box, it would go off if someone pours water down it, and that would be enough to scare the thief away before he manages to get enough water inside to harm the DVR.

Stick it in an attic. No criminal is going to crawl around up there...

And if you're worried about them stealing something, hook up a decoy dvr in an obvious place, they'll run off with it thinking they're good to go.

A datacenter in Chicago was wiped out maybe a year or two ago now? They rammed a truck into the side of the building to gain access, then along with clearing out a bunch of server racks, they also went into an IT closet or something and swiped the DVR to cover their tracks. Case screams of inside job... so don't tell your ex where you keep this thing.

Atlas Sound makes a couple of "Tilt-Out" in wall steel cabinets. They can recessed in the wall or surface mounted. Fully locked too and the cabinets have vents.

Atlas part number AWR2W would work for most DVR's that have rack mount ears/kits installed.

I don't have enough postings yet to put up a link, but just google and you'll see the cabinet. They were originally intended for mounting public address amplifiers out of the way by putting the amplifier in the wall, but I'm sure a DVR would work in these cabinets.

Just hide the DVR in the attic and if you need it networked use a Ethernet over powerline adapter.

I think this method will be useful.At least,you can try to do it.

Hide it in a lock box. Connect the lock box to an alarm system tamper switch / vibration contact to protect it.

174176_1.jpg

For me, it's fun to THINK like a criminal. Let's be honest, we've all thought "If I'd rob a bank, this is the way I'd do it..."

Most criminals are idiots. And most of the crimes are happen are smash-and-grab, crackhead type petty thefts that these cameras would protect against.

But my thoughts are, what if a SMART criminal were to do this... what would i do in this case?

The lock box idea given by the user above is a good idea, but if I were to see a lock box with a DVR inside... EVEN WITH a tamper switch, I'd simply pour water down the ventilation holes till I heard some crackles and a pop.... and I would continue with my crime spree....

My idea is to create some sort of box-inside-a-box system where if someone were to pour water down, it would flow AROUND the dvr and go through a side channel and come out the other side, leaving the DVR unharmed.

Also, They sell SUPER CHEAP water detection systems (for basements and water heaters), that run on 9V batteries that pretty much last forever... if you stick one of them inside the box, it would go off if someone pours water down it, and that would be enough to scare the thief away before he manages to get enough water inside to harm the DVR.

you'd be running too and from the nearest tap...

also... the DVR may be bust but it could be possible to recover data from the HDD.

if it was me, i'd pour petrol in and around it and light it then GTFO

And if you're worried about them stealing something, hook up a decoy dvr in an obvious place, they'll run off with it thinking they're good to go.

my thinking exactly

I actually just set up a system at my house, and a few months later the neighbor asked about one at his house. Since we're about 100 yards apart, we just both have a camera on eachothers system with a general overview of the others property. Using a CE VF1000IR, I have full night view (better than with floods on) and at least if someone runs off with my system, I'll have footage. Not ideal, but a nice backup.

I also 2nd an alarm system. Starts the clock ticking, last thing they want is to be seen or get caught. LOTS of noise, lights, whatever you can turn on.

Server racks of the utmost premium quality can be equipped with multiple shelves, glide-mounted drawers, or keyboard shelves with ambidextrous mouse trays, etc.

[spam link removed]

Server racks generally come with advanced features such as cooling, power distribution, and cable management for servers and networking applications

Server racks generally come with advanced features such as cooling, power distribution, and cable management for servers and networking applications

My experience... these things are AVAILABLE for server racks, but they rarely come included.

I use a PC based solution using an 8416A card. The beauty of the whole thing is that I have it all set up in a an Intel SC5200 case. Even without a motherboard, drives and all the goodies, this case itself weighs 70 lbs. Once you add in the redundant power supply module, fully equip the drive bays and add in the goodies, the weight gets over 100lbs. Even then the analog cables are well hidden and you wont find them just looking under the desk lol Which large computer out of five in the house is really the server for the camera system? Good luck finding it out without time to look for it in detail. You best bring some gas and matches with you to be sure you get it taken care of. lol

Have been running across these in drop ceilings lately with a few switches and patch panels:

http://www.panduit.com/groups/MPM-BR/documents/InstallationInstruction/110317.pdf

I'm sure it could be adapted for a house. Would work out great in a small business or convenience store set up though, a DVR and rack mount power supply should fit into it easily. Of course, its panduit, so it'll probably cost more than the DVR.

One other idea is also to make a fake DVR in place of where someone may think a DVR should be.

For example, use an older DVR with extra cables coming out of it going under a piece of furniture or by a wall, and if someone comes looking for your DVR, they will find a fake and leave happy, but recorded.

It is similar to the fake wallet trick while traveling on vacation!

Thanks

SIA