jdowning

Dome v housed?

Hi all,

In nearly all of the professional environments I've been into - companies choose housed cameras with body cameras inside them instead of dome cameras.

I'm just wondering - what is the primary reason for this? Can they zoom further on in? What is it like in low light levels etc at night time?

I'm worried that if I install vandal dome cameras straight into the wall that they'll get tight after a few years and I won't be able to get the screw out (has happened me on a few occasions with other things).

Which lux level would you recommend for very low lighted environments (and why shouldn't I use IR?).

E.g; is this camera OK?

http://www.onlinesecurityproducts.co.uk/informer-vandal-domes/informer-cctv-sony-600tvl-super-hadii-ccd-00003lux-28-12-mp-lens.html

Thanks for all your help.

Jack

Dunno why they do that - I always see box cameras in housings...

Personally, I would always rather install a vandal-dome. Much more secure. I've never had screws 'get tight'.

Low light performance all depends on optics, the sensor, and DSP, & probably some other things... Get a true day/night camera. I love CNB's Monalisa line. Lots of pictures around here of them.

Now box cameras do have an advantage in that you can install all sorts of fancy lenses. For example, watching a driveway, you may want a 5-50mm lens. can't easily do that with domes!

Nothing wrong with IR, just that visible light will always produce a better image. good low-light cameras will work very well with IR.

Now box cameras do have an advantage in that you can install all sorts of fancy lenses. For example, watching a driveway, you may want a 5-50mm lens. can't easily do that with domes!

There is a Fujinon 15-50mm we've been using in CW454/504 domes... it's like, the ONLY other lens that will fit inside them

Thanks for all your replies everyone!

Just wondering - I'm finding trouble getting a CCTV camera to a gate entrance of my building.

If a housed camera was put up - would it have no problem getting a clear image of the gate 20 metres away, camera will be around 5 metres from the ground and the gate width is around 3 metres?

Thanks very much

Jack

the CNB will do the job or the huviron both can be set to zoom auto on motion or zoomed via remote control. or from dvr.

CNB = XGB-20CS/XGB-21CS

huviron = SK-P700IRD/M844AI,

XGB_enl-1.jpg

588_i-1.jpg

Hi all!

Thanks for your replies!

Sorry - I phrased it wrong, I didn't want a camera which I can zoom in remotely - just one that can 'zoom' in a lot! Sorry, I'm not good with the technical language.

For example - I can't get a camera to a physical location close to this gate so I'm going to need to get a camera (I'd prefer to do a body+housing camera, not the built in ones) which can zoom right up this yard and get a face if possible.

This is the picture of the chimney I'd mount the camera on (around 3 metres from ground).

photo20092011164423-1.jpg

And around 20 metres up the yard, here is the gate:

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/7876/photo20092011164434.jpg

Gate width is around 3 metres.

Roughly - what type of lens would I need for this?

Thanks so much for all your help, appreciate it.

There are many cctv lens calculators on the web. You need to know the sensor size of the camera, the distance from the camera to the target and how wide of an area (field of view) you want to cover. One quick calculation says a 1/3" sensor, 3 meters off the ground, target distance of 20 meters, view area 4 meter = a lens focal length of 24mm.

Thats fine, get the Zoom lens dome and just set it fixed to your FOV.

But don't you have to put an extra wire to control that through to whatever location?

There are many cctv lens calculators on the web. You need to know the sensor size of the camera, the distance from the camera to the target and how wide of an area (field of view) you want to cover. One quick calculation says a 1/3" sensor, 3 meters off the ground, target distance of 20 meters, view area 4 meter = a lens focal length of 24mm.

So would a 24mm lens roughly get a good picture of that gate without any bad image quality?

Also - can a CAT5 cable powered via baluns provide power for a housing+body camera?

Thanks all!

But don't you have to put an extra wire to control that through to whatever location?

Only if you want to control it away from the camera.

Otherwise you set it up using the control for the OSD on the camera itself.

It would give options for the zoom/focus etc, such as to set it fixed or leave it auto.

Auto will auto focus as you zoom, fixed for example will allow you to set it fixed and focus it there, just like using a regular non zoom lens. But it depends on the camera as to what it says or what it has. If you want it in a dome though they will typically come with a zoom lens for 5-50mm.

If you plan to just monitor the gate, then you are looking for a lens that you set the zoom on once. This would not need to be a lens that would allow you to zoom in and out, if I understand your need correctly.

24mm will get you the right field of view. Good/bad camera is a whole other issue. Things to think about - how is the lighting at the gate? Does the sun back light the entrance significantly early or late in the day? Are you looking to see what is happening, read license plates and/or identify faces?

If you plan to just monitor the gate, then you are looking for a lens that you set the zoom on once. This would not need to be a lens that would allow you to zoom in and out, if I understand your need correctly.

24mm will get you the right field of view. Good/bad camera is a whole other issue. Things to think about - how is the lighting at the gate? Does the sun back light the entrance significantly early or late in the day? Are you looking to see what is happening, read license plates and/or identify faces?

Hi all - yep! Just a one time setup and that should be it hopefully.

It's the one main point of entry to my yard so I'll want to be able to identify faces. I plan to have 4-5 other cameras in the yard but would you recommend one for faces or one for wide angle/number plates?

Lighting isn't a problem - I don't really want infrared. As from what I've seen, it just blurs out peoples faces. I can put in a few extra motion sensor lights in the yard. Do these type of cameras need a lot of light?

Thanks for all your help guys - don't know what I'd do without you!

Jack

rory - know where I can get CNB in UK? i heard 'monolisa' chipsets are good

hi. the VCM-24VF has never been sold in the uk. you can only order it direct.

Would a CAT5 cable usually be able to power a housing+body camera?

Also - if I were to install a PTZ camera, could I have PTZ+power+video going down one CAT5?

And if I had all PTZ control wires going back to a garage (but the DVR was in an office), could I have say a terminal which means I can run a wire from that terminal back to the DVR?

sorry if i'm confusing

thanks lots!

Just run 18awg wire for power (or 14-16awg depending on distance).

Its not expensive and you might wish you had.

Would a CAT5 cable usually be able to power a housing+body camera?

Yes, although if it's a full heater/blower housing you might want to run separate power for that. Since most of these housings use 24VAC, though, the current demands are a lot lower, as well as the losses - over a shorter run, it may not be an issue.

Also - if I were to install a PTZ camera, could I have PTZ+power+video going down one CAT5?

You could, if the camera's current demands are low enough, and/or the distance is short enough: one pair for video, one for control, two for power.

And if I had all PTZ control wires going back to a garage (but the DVR was in an office), could I have say a terminal which means I can run a wire from that terminal back to the DVR?

Sure.