boatbyrd

Running 110v ac cable alongside coax.

I'm a newbie who has been studying for months before completing this "investment". But I am hoping someone with more electrical knowledge than me can tell me if it is o.k. to run my siamese coaxial cables (2-4 each pipe) alongside romex sheathed 110v cable which will be feeding outdoor floodlighting. (Incandescent or halogen now, but maybe CFL's down the road.) The coaxial was standard grade, not shielded. The conduit is the gray pvc. (watertight!) Thanks in advance, Ken

I really would not do this. There are simply no guarantees - it may work fine, or you may get interference.

I would probably run the mains power in another piece of conduit, preferably metal so that it can be grounded.

Not sure where you're at, but household voltage and low voltage should never be run in the same conduit.

Lets put it this way, camera wiring (power/video) is never going to kill you. It's 12 vdc or 24 volts ac, and current limited. Household current can kill, and if something happens over the years to cause a degradation of the romex wire it could possibly put that current into your camera wiring.

As a professional, it's against electrical code to mix wiring such as this. There's a reason why.

I'm a newbie who has been studying for months before completing this "investment". But I am hoping someone with more electrical knowledge than me can tell me if it is o.k. to run my siamese coaxial cables (2-4 each pipe) alongside romex sheathed 110v cable which will be feeding outdoor floodlighting. (Incandescent or halogen now, but maybe CFL's down the road.) The coaxial was standard grade, not shielded. The conduit is the gray pvc. (watertight!) Thanks in advance, Ken

I don't think OP is looking to run both inside the same conduit... however, running the parallel is also not a great idea, although as long as one of them (video or power) is in metal, you're probably okay for short distances. I've strapped coax and station wire (for camera power) along EMT electrical conduit for a couple dozen feet with no problems - it's mostly a matter of how much current is running through the electrical, as the more current, the stronger the field it produces. If you do have to run parallel, best idea is to separate the two by at least six inches (the more separation, the better).

My buddy teaches electricians in Iowa and said to run the cable at least 8 inches away from any horizontal run of 110 power cable. The CCTV cable may cross at a 90 degree angle...but not run parallel close to the 110 or you might get interference.