Hmmm, a japanese car and a ford truck just had a head on collision outside my appt (which is on a main road here), 2 people lay unconcious.

Anyway, ambulance came quick, police took over 30 minutes to arrive.

Im thinking about proposing cameras to the cops, for this area, just as its a bad corner on a main road, and in the past 3 years, ive seen at least 5 major accidents, most head ons, including 1 motorbike head on, and alot were hit and runs. Ive also had cars hit my wall drunk, and have the tow truck come and tow them away, before the police ever turn up, leaving us to fit the bill!

Anyone ever proposed anything like this to the police / government? Im thinkng about cameras on the lamp posts, with permission from the government, it will just be recorded in the DVR in my place.

Rory

There are tons of intersection cameras in the Los Angeles and Orange County areas. In fact one of my best revenue streams came from the City of Irvine buying cameras and equipment for their intersection surveillance program. How do you propose getting the signals back to the police station? Do you have line of sight available for microwave, or will you be able to drop DSL to the area and use IP cameras? Most important do they even have the budget or the will to do something?

Or you could become a mercenary, set up your own system, and sell the video to injured parties, insurance companies, etc.as evidence

Check legality, but if its a public area you should have the right to have a camera covering it.

Sounds like a great idea, hope you can get the permissions and they go for it.

I would love to do the same where I live, as the council is spending a absolute fortune installing lots of high end cameras in numerous locations, problem being its fairly obvious they dont have a clue about where they should have been sighted. They are in all the wrong places, areas with serious crime (where more than one murder has occured) dont get the cam, but oddly ones near nice expensive new homes do... Then they install loads in a area with only troublemakers, but no serious crime to speak off, and ignore other areas that desperately need cameras.

Maybe the police should have a system in place where you can tell them you have cameras, and if they need footage from a area they can ask you, as they know you may have it. At present, there must be countless systems installed that the police do not know about, that could have caught valuable info on them.

Guess you would have to get not only permission from your authorities, but also work out power supply issues (ie do they pay for the electric, taken from the lampost?) and insurance issues etc. The police may be more likely to say yes, if you already have all the issues worked out, and approval in principal from the relavent authorities.

Good luck anyways!

Do you have privacy laws? In the US driving down the road you should have no "reasonable expectation of privacy" but you gotta make sure you aren't looking into someone elses private property.

EDIT: I checked this solely because I have spent a week at the top of a lift pulling wire. The second day when I came in they were asking one of their employees if he had watched the "forklift video" yet.

No, but he could have other forms of legal liability. In the USA, a court order could be obtained for such footage, either by Police or lawyers in a civil case. Which would make it harder for Rory to make money on beyond the install.

LOL .. thanks guys .. but the government here wont spend any money, and i dont have any for this .. otherwise laws are pretty slack so that part isnt an issue ..

I would ahve to imagine that the Bahamas is going to be different to everywhere else but in most cases like this you will need to speak to the government's consultant in this field and get him to specify the equipment if a project is ever funded by government...I am doubting there are many cinsultants in the Bahamas though

~ I hope this helps