Merlin3100

DVR Recommendations, looking for?

Hi Group,

I need a little help from the pro’s with a recommendation on a new 16 camera stand alone DVR that will give me remote access to include my Android smart phone. I had a system that was hit by lightning and everything needs to be replaced. I had a DVR from a company called “WatchNET”, model # ES-48016RTS-kit. http://watchnetdvr.com/DVRsystems_Embeded.asp

The WatchNET did OK but from some things that I read in the past on the forums the WatchNET is not as mainstream and not what the pro’s would select for themselves.

I would like to by a quality unit/brand with good customer support when issues come up.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Robert…

Many DVRs have Android software now.

Although its going to be very basic compared to a desktop app.

Eg. This is an example on a Dahua DVR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQGzF67F1Us

That video is from the manufacturer.

I installed it on a clients phone but didnt get to use it to any extent, it did work though.

Many DVRs have Android software now.

Although its going to be very basic compared to a desktop app.

Eg. This is an example on a Dahua DVR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQGzF67F1Us

That video is from the manufacturer.

I installed it on a clients phone but didnt get to use it to any extent, it did work though.

But first what brand of DVR would you recommend. I understand the Dahua's are priced better, but as far as quality and customer service are they the best way to go or do you suggest a different brand.

Like Samsung, Nuvico, Pelco?

Robert...

Rory's comment that "Many DVRs have Android software now." is a bit misleading. I have yet to find any DVR that supports remote playback with an android client. Remote live view is easy to find, but not log reviewing or playback.

Rory's comment that "Many DVRs have Android software now." is a bit misleading. I have yet to find any DVR that supports remote playback with an android client. Remote live view is easy to find, but not log reviewing or playback.

Not really, Android is a basic mobile OS. Dont expect much from it.

Best to get a netbook with Windows if you want to do anything powerful.

Not really, Android is a basic mobile OS. Dont expect much from it.

Best to get a netbook with Windows if you want to do anything powerful.

I don't understand your comment. Mobile phones (iOS/Android/Windows/etc) are not basic in any sense of the word. I have a computer in my pocket that happens to support making phone calls.

I'd consider live view and remote playback as "basic" functionality before any DVR/NVR to claim support for a platform. It can be done under Android. Synology does it. Under Windows Mobile (6.x) GV would allow remote playback, and live view with PT support, so mobile platforms can certianly handle the abilities when the DVR/NVR makers catch up. I'm just frustrated that they are being slow. I know that it is driven by demand and it just has not been there (so far).

I'm anxiously awaiting a DVR/NVR to catch up with mobile technologies.

I don't understand your comment. Mobile phones (iOS/Android/Windows/etc) are not basic in any sense of the word. I have a computer in my pocket that happens to support making phone calls.

I'd consider live view and remote playback as "basic" functionality before any DVR/NVR to claim support for a platform. It can be done under Android. Synology does it. Under Windows Mobile (6.x) GV would allow remote playback, and live view with PT support, so mobile platforms can certianly handle the abilities when the DVR/NVR makers catch up. I'm just frustrated that they are being slow. I know that it is driven by demand and it just has not been there (so far).

I'm anxiously awaiting a DVR/NVR to catch up with mobile technologies.

Dude they are basic in every sense of the word, compared to a desktop operating system.

heck my phone can make a phone call, so what?

the mobile OS are limited - that is fact so you need to deal with it.

Go get a real computer and stop kidding yourself.

Dude they are basic in every sense of the word, compared to a desktop operating system.

heck my phone can make a phone call, so what?

the mobile OS are limited - that is fact so you need to deal with it.

Go get a real computer and stop kidding yourself.

Somebody needs a hug.

I would be happy to view my system in real time remotely from my Android phone. Not concerned with the ability to play back on the phone. However when I'm on a remote PC I would like to have full control.