ultimatesecurity

Need Help with a Multiplexer question

I have a client video that was recorded years ago on a super circuits qs19 16 channel multiplexer (same as the lorex sgx1600). After 5 years the insurance company wants to watch an incident on a video but they want it played back on the multiplexer so all 16 cameras are shown at once. Problem is the unit is now defective and can't be replaced (can't find any).

How are these videos coded? can they be played back with any other 16 channel multiplexer? any help would be appreciated.

Typically, you have to match both the format used by the MUX, AND the VCR... Fortunately these aren't usually all THAT different from one brand to the next, and some MUXes actually have a number of options in the setup menus for proper support of a wide range of VCRs.

Unfortunately, it will be hard to say just what other MUX and VCR (besides the original types) will fully match up to what the tape was originally recorded on - trial and error is probably your best bet.

Typically, you have to match both the format used by the MUX, AND the VCR... Fortunately these aren't usually all THAT different from one brand to the next, and some MUXes actually have a number of options in the setup menus for proper support of a wide range of VCRs.

Unfortunately, it will be hard to say just what other MUX and VCR (besides the original types) will fully match up to what the tape was originally recorded on - trial and error is probably your best bet.

Thanks Matt, for your input. I was thinking trial and error too but that means ordering them online somewhere and shipping them in for me to test out. I have the original VCR's but the mux main video out is really distorted. I am trying to see if anyone local can even fix it. At this point price is not an issue with the insurance company as it could save them millions on a lawsuit.

Are you sure its not the VCR or VCR tape that is distorted. It is not common for a MUX to put out distorted video but very common for a VCR or VCR tape to have distorted video. The best way to test the VCR is to pop an old movie tape in there to see if it has clear playback.

Are you sure its not the VCR or VCR tape that is distorted. It is not common for a MUX to put out distorted video but very common for a VCR or VCR tape to have distorted video. The best way to test the VCR is to pop an old movie tape in there to see if it has clear playback.

The tape and VCR are good. Played the muxed tape back direct to a monitor you can see all 16 cameras switching and when played back slow view each shot clearly.