blowrabbit

ge storesafe with 2/500gb seagate hdds issues

Ive got a ge store safe that i have installed 2 seagate 500gb hdds and it functions fine except it gives me a harddrive error icon on the screen. I have ran the test on the record menue and reconfiged it to factory settings a few times to no avail? This also occurs on a dvrme that i have connected to a dvse ? I am hoping either rory or the cctv guy outa southern cal can shed some lite on this?

Ive got a ge store safe that i have installed 2 seagate 500gb hdds and it functions fine except it gives me a harddrive error icon on the screen. I have ran the test on the record menue and reconfiged it to factory settings a few times to no avail? This also occurs on a dvrme that i have connected to a dvse ? I am hoping either rory or the cctv guy outa southern cal can shed some lite on this?

Hey bud, this is CCTV guy from Southern California

Looks like you have done most of everything that I would have done... Did you make sure to assign master/slave configuration of the hard drives when you installed? If so, just double check it anyway... also, change the ribbon cables just to be on the safe side. I recommend rounded ATA cables instead of ribbon type - gives us more flexibility in routing such cables. Here is a rounded ATA cable - http://computersupplyhouse.us/cables/ide-cable-for-hdd-18-inch-ultra-ata-for-intellex-v2-2.html - and I am sure you can find it locally.. make sure they are 18" in length... or find and replace the the ribbon cable with new set. I have seen the cable causing some serious problems in recognizing drives.

Here is what you do next - make sure you have the latest firmware and if not, please download it from UTC - http://www.utcfssecurityproductspages.eu/videoupgrades/downloads/StoreSafe-ProII.zip - follow the instructions very carefully. Once you update the firmware, then it should work just fine unless...

Can you tell me amperage of your power supply? If it is reading less than 7.5A, it may be the problem. The older power supplies came with 5.0A configuration and they were fine as long as you had 80GB or 160GB... but when the storage went up higher, these power supplies failed, so GE came up with new power supplies pushing 7.5A. That solved the necessity for more amperage for hard drives.

So, please start testing the system in the same order that I mention above and let us know the results.

Good luck...