milkman

Please help! Question about how to upgrade?

Hello,

I recently got thrown into a project for a friend that has a few DVR systems for his businesses. Last year a guy had installed a 8 channel/camera DVR system with Geovision GV800 software.

The owner has been big on wanting to watch the cameras from his iPhone. I had setup a Q-see system a few months back and he loved the mobile phone feature.

The problem is I have no experience with Geovison software. However, when I was trying to check and confirm that the proper ports are open and checked. I noticed that there was no option for that! So I investigated a little and found out the GV-800 software is V. 7.0. I ran the detection software and it said i can upgrade to 8.0.1. BUT! I am worried because it says I need a key dongle? So I am a little surprised that the system was installed late last year and the software used was already outdated with no mobile phone feature.

Is it really all that tricky to upgrade the software? Or do I run a great risk of messing the whole thing up by either the dongle not being with the machine or maybe he used a cracked or hacked version? So I am a little worried to move forward.

I know what you thinking is have them call the guy back and make things right. However, they do not want to contact him and had a bitter falling out since they were friends.

What would any of you advice me to start to do or not do in this case? They really want the phone app to work and I having no problem trying to update to version 8. Just want to make sure I will not make the situation go from no feature to system not working at all!

Please help! Any advice would be great. I have tried to read the Geovision step guide for upgrading. I just get scared when it asks about the key or dongle and proper cards being installed. I have no clue has to what this guy did or if he used pirated software!

Thanks guys!

Think you may be out of luck with this card even with an upgrade to 8.01. Minimum Geo software you need for an Iphone is Ver 8.32 (Droid's need 8.4)

As for the software being out of date in a year, Version 7 was released in 2005! Personally, sounds like the guy picked up a clone card from ebay real cheap and slapped it in.

There are some 3rd party phone apps that work with ver 7.02 geo.

I use LIVE IP CAMS written by Nibblenbits.

refresh is slow but it does work,

works for iphone, blackberry and android.

It is a bit weird that a card installed last year would be so out of date. I put in a card 4 years ago and I'm on 8.2 Maybe the card is fake.

Here is the safest thing to do: Pull the hard drive from the computer. Put in a new one. Install Windows from scratch (XP is still quite good for this). Do a clean install of the latest version you can get. GV has a page on their web site somewhere to request a download password. If it all goes bad, you can just plug the old hard drive back in.

IP Cam Viewer is great, I use the Android version.

Hi Guys!

Thanks for all the answers!

Last night I ended up taking a dare and uninstalling version 7 and then installing 8.4.

Ran the driver install first then the software. Everything seemed to go great. However, once the GV800 software loaded. It shows all the camera screens saying video loss or loss signal. Something along those lines. No errors or messages on the software side. Just the vido loss.

So I headed over to their place today and pulled the card out to see what it looked like. It says Geovision on the card and on a couple of the chips. Then in smaller print it says Model GV-650-800(S) V3.51 and on one of the chips it has a sticker that says GV800.

On the other side it has a barcode and number.

I head there is a card version that has to match software. However, i am having trouble finding a refrence chart. I did manage to find the 8.34 software and thought I would just keep trying a earlier version until the cameras work again?

Try sending an email to geovision support to see if they can verify the serial number. The link is on their web site somewhere.

I'll do that, thanks!

try to upgrade to 8.12 first and see if that works.

if not then it wont work with the newer versions.

If it does work with 8.12 but doesnt work with the newer versions, at least you have a better version than 7.0.

I would stick with XP no matter what version you use.

Well I am really starting to get worried!

I tried even going back to version 8.11 and it still saying video loss. I was hoping to go back to the 7.11. However, i am having no luck finding the software. I don't know what to do at this point. The securirty system has been down for 3 days now. I don't know if i am breaking the rules by asking this, but does anyone know where I can get a copy of v7.11? I have looked all over google, just not having much luck.

I had sent Geovision about the card with the barcode. However, two days and still not heard back from them.

Problem is 8.xx updates the card, I dont recall if 7.xx does but I "think" it does.

either way, I have 7.05, not 7.11

Thanks for the reply Rory.

Does the 7.05 ( the version you have) require the dongle?

I have noticed this DVR does not have the usb key and so I thought maybe version 7.11 was the first to not need the key. Problem is I have tried most of the version 8 files and they all come up lost video. I am really getting to a point where I am at a loss on what to do. Or running out of ideas on how to at least just get this thing back to a working level.

In what way does it depend on the card?

If you don't think I need the dongle. Would you mind telling me where I can get the 7.05 that you have?

they put the copy protection on the card and stopped using the dongle, as far as I know.

will PM the link.

they put the copy protection on the card and stopped using the dongle, as far as I know.

will PM the link.

Hi Rory,

I tried that link you sent and it comes back and appears to be no longer valid. Tried it yesterday and today with same issue.

I am pretty much at halt. I just sent Geovision another email request with the bar code number to review on if a clone or not. That other email went out like 4 days ago and never heard back.

Hopefully all this will be resolved.

I keep thinking why did I agree to do this. lol!

If I understand this correctly, you now have nothing because the upgrade failed. Is it too late to use windows system restore to role back to a known good point?

Hi Rory,

I tried that link you sent and it comes back and appears to be no longer valid. Tried it yesterday and today with same issue.

PM sent

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to thank all of you for the help and thought it would only be fair I share the closing results with all of you.

As it turns the card is in fact a FAKE. Took like a week but finally herd back from GeoVision and then they wanted pictures of the card. They replied back and said the card is fake and nothing they can do. The owner did not take the news well. He now wants me to rip the card out of the PC and let one of the employees use it for work. Then he wants to install a Q-See DVR in place. So as some of you correctly assumed the card is no good. I greatly appreciate everyones help and advice in resolving this issue especially you Rory.

Wow, A lot of different theory's here.

Chances are you need to do an AGC (auto gain adjustment on your camera software).

If your system boots up 8.4, then your good to go.

If your card doesn't work with the software you will get a "cannot find keypro" message.

To do an AGC, go to settings--> Video Attributes --> Standard

Click on the AGC button and press auto.

It should bring some or all of your cameras back up for you.

If its genuine this should work for you.