edselrt

baluns from different manufacturer

This is for an existing installation. 48 camera system. I want to replace a camera with a CNB VCM model. The existing camera system uses baluns but I believe those would not fit in a VCM casing. I am thinking of replacing the balun from a different manufacturer. I dont want to replace the baluns from the headend. Will this work? or does baluns work in pairs only?

I've never had a problem mixing-and-matching balun brands and styles. Our last job, we used GEM BLN-MTL2 baluns at the cameras (they fit nicely inside the VCM back-box):

blnmtl2-1.jpg

At the head-end, we used EV16P-VPS rack-mount balun/power supply units:

168098_1.jpg

I actually find them great when mounting a VCM on the ceiling, because the camera's BNC and the balun together, wedge nice and tight between the side of the back-box and the two mounting studs, thus holding the wires in place while I fiddle with getting the rest of the camera body aligned.

I wish I had bought those GEMs when I put up some VCMs... We had to use a separate small electrical box to hold the connections, as the baluns were pretty fat.

Should be absolutely no problem mixing baluns as they are all almost the same on the inside.

They look like the same unit... whether they're made by GEM, or if GEM OEMs from someone else, or someone just copied the design, I can't say...

I almost always use 4,8,16, way baluns at the DVR end and split up pairs of pigtail baluns at the camera ends.

Different manufacturers, but never had an issue. ( just you wait until the next install smartypants)