Squiffy

Samsung PTZ & Pelco query

I've just bought a used Samsung SDZ330, a fixed camera offering just optical zoom/focus. I was assuming I'd be able to use this with my AVTech AVC787 DVR, but now I'm pretty sure it's only controllable using Samsung's protocol (the AVTech model only supports Pelco-D and their own protocol). I'll appreciate confirmation of this, or any suggestions on work arounds.

For PTZ, the SDZ330 uses a 6-pin connector, 3 of which are used, but which pin is which isn't apparent in the manual, which would make any experimentation even more puzzling.

As an alternative, the zoom/focus can be controlled using an external voltage, would this be a better route for interfacing to the AVC787 and what would be required?

I was looking at the back of the camera and it has external Zoom and Focus inputs in case you wanted to use this with a Pan/Tilt head. You can get a CCTV decoder board which adapts the voltages to an RS-485 connection so you would be able to use it with your Avtech.

Something like this:

168731_1.jpg

You can pick up on ebay for $22

For the price you cant beat it. We have used it to control many a zoom lens that I have purchased off of ebay as well. You can find some sweet deals on zoom lenses on eBay I tell ya.

Thanks Sean, I assume the DIP switches are to select various protocols? Anyone bought from that firm before? I'm always wary of buying anything outside the UK and especially from China...

As for using the camera with a pan/tilt head, that would be ideal, wish I could find one going cheap

Thanks Sean, I assume the DIP switches are to select various protocols? Anyone bought from that firm before? I'm always wary of buying anything outside the UK and especially from China...

As for using the camera with a pan/tilt head, that would be ideal, wish I could find one going cheap

hi. if you are handy with a soldering iron then it will cost you nothing. on the 6 pin com plug pin 4 is + and pin 5 is - for your dvr rs485 connection.

Thanks Tom, the problem is the difference in protocol, unless I've misunderstood your meaning? Access to the connections themselves is no problem, although the pin-out on the main 6-pin connector isn't obvious (to me at least). Come to think of it I'm not even sure of the RS485 pin-out of the ACV787 either

@ ljarrald - you was bidding for that same camera? I was surprised to win the auction, as I'm usually outbid in the past few seconds, so now I know who to blame in the future

Thanks Tom, the problem is the difference in protocol, unless I've misunderstood your meaning? Access to the connections themselves is no problem, although the pin-out on the main 6-pin connector isn't obvious (to me at least). Come to think of it I'm not even sure of the RS485 pin-out of the ACV787 either

@ ljarrald - you was bidding for that same camera? I was surprised to win the auction, as I'm usually outbid in the past few seconds, so now I know who to blame in the future

i think it was the same, pm me the item no and i'll be able to confirm or not. we probably end up costing each other more. if only you had told everyone what you were bidding on AND YOU WILL OUTBID ANYONE WHO TRIES TO TAKE IT FROM YOU! could of got it for less, that is what i do on my facebook fire alarm group. but then there is the chance of a kn0b outbidding you who otherwise would not of found it :/

I bought that same decoder that I showed you. It said it was going to ship from China but they actually shipped it out of california. Yes the dip switches are for various protocols. And the cool thing is it also has a power converted on it too which converts 24 VAC to 12V DC, not that you would ever need that but if so its there.

Thanks Sean, is full documentation supplied with it?

Reading a few more posts here, I've seen mention that Pelco-D can control basic Samsung camera PTZ functions, can anyone confirm this?

I could of course experiment, but the actual pin-outs are unknown to me for both the camera and the DVR which doesn't help matters

Yes, it is. Obviously this shouldn't take much work to figure out using a multimeter, but the Samsung camera 6-pin connector looks to me like one of those hard to find connectors, tailor made for use with their own controller range.