unit979

Single channel DVR?

Has anyone done an upgrade from a multiple camera system with multiplexer? Just replace the VCR with a single channel DVR.

Is there much quality loss than dumping the multiplexer and putting in a multichanner DVR?

Let me know of any suggestions or experiences.

Thanks,

Brad

Picture quality will be better in a dedicated DVR/Multiplexer combo and you will also get features such as motion detection recording. But your cost is much greater. I've done several swap outs of VCRs with single channel DVRs and they work great. Very low cost way to upgrade. You don't need an expensive single channel DVR. Something like the Vitek would work just fine.

http://www.vitekcctv.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=162

I Agree single channel machines are a great VCR replacement option, only problem is you wont get the same quality of image because it will be small recordings and your frame rate will suffer fromthe Mux!

It won't be small recordings since the mux records single full size frames unlike a quad. You can also vary the quality of the recording in the DVR and save some space if needed. The drawbacks is that all of your adjustments are universal instead of based on each camera. It is more like a direct VCR replacement with some added features such as quick access to video, higher resolution than a VCR and tapeless of course.

I have 2 places online using a seperate mux and DVR, and they work great. But make sure the DVR supports the brand of mux that you have, Kalatel's DVR only supports the big name brands.

Actually the Kalatel single channel is 60pps recording, while the all in one is 30pps. But then I have noticed that 2.5pps on the all in one looks equivalent to 5pps on the singel channel DVR.

One thing to add. The single channel DVRs we are talking about have no networking or remote abilities. If you need that then you are better just getting an integrated DVR.

I like the look of the 3108 version, around what approx pricing does it go for? $1000+, $2000+, etc?

thanks